Aftermarket knock sensors

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Oliver Sedlacek

Aftermarket knock sensors

Post by Oliver Sedlacek »

I'm going to try adding a knock sensor to my Ford XFlow engine and I was wondering if anyone here has done it. The offerings at http://www.phormula.co.uk/ look worth a go, but has anyone tried them?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That looks fascinating. Not sure how it compares to the J&S Safeguard system: http://www.jandssafeguard.com/safeguard.html

Let us know how it goes. What is your primary goal? tuning the engine to the edge of knock threshold? Is it boosted?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Oliver Sedlacek

Tuning

High speed knock is just too damaging to be worth the risk. It also lets me be braver with my tuning experiments.

Oliver Sedlacek

Good results with Phormula knock sensor

I can now report that I'm pretty pleased with the Phormula knock sensor kit. I fretted for quite a while about the retrofit sensor mounting, but in practice the solution was pretty obvious. There is a boss on the left hand side of the block high up and at the front of the engine. It's as close as you are likely to get to the combustion chambers, so I decided not to worry any more about whether it could hear all the cylinders. The boss has a tapped hole in it which I assumed would be 5/16" UNC but turned out to be 3/8" UNC. This was actually the biggest headache as I had to make a custom stud for the sensor, which has an 8mm hole down the middle. I turned down some 3/8" UNC studding, leaving enough thread to engage in the hole and then re-tapped the plain end to M8. This lets me screw the stud to the engine, slip the sensor over it and then clamp it down with an M8 nut.

After installation I consulted the knock frequency calculator on the Phormula website and configured the unit to a 7kHz knock frequency. A gain of 7 then seemed to give sensible numbers, and I left the alert threshold at 40. A few runs showed that the unit was flagging up knock reliably, so all in all I consider that a sucess.

damunk

Post by damunk »

where do you install these? can you install them where the oil pressure gauges screw into the engine.

i just need an addition knock sensor. knocklight g4 looks good to me.

Oliver Sedlacek

Re: Where to install the knock sensro

I don't think the oil pressure sensor is a good place as it's too far from the combustion chamber.

crossflow

Post by crossflow »

This is not from me, but
I saw some photos here:
www.lathyrus.eu

than click on:
Special tools and parts

than click on:
Knock detection circuit

damunk

Post by damunk »

In back of my engine I have already a knock sensor connector which is wired to the ECU that was removed.

Can I use the same connector and have a knock gauge in the car?

The connector looks like the one from the above link (previous post)

Is it the case of two wires: positive and negative through shielded sound cable with 3.5 jack into amplifier microphone socket. And use normal headphones from output of microphone?

Want to do it on cheap because the project has totally skinned me so far.

crossflow

Post by crossflow »

@ Oliver

I had a look at the site you mentioned.
There are 4 different products.
Which one have you bought and used ?

damunk

Post by damunk »

I'm going the whisper 2000 diy way. Bought one for £10 off ebay. Need some good headphones now.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0353

I've heard knock detection units sometimes flash (indicate knock) at high rpm's where there is not a knock. So people turn down the sensitivity.

When I heard this I thought I will do it the cheap way and actually hear what noises you get while driving.