a little help for a newbie?

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

oliver122

a little help for a newbie?

Post by oliver122 »

hey guys , what it is is i own a 1989 mini that im in the middle of restoring , i want to do away with the dizzy and go megajolt , so ive gone about buying some bits , ive got an edis 4 unit , a pickup , coil pack and a loom that i brought off ebay that i need to modify to get it fit where i want everything to go, but what i need to know now is have a missed anything off of what im going to order : the actually megajolt unit , trigger wheel , pickup bracket , map sensor , longer crank bolt is that everything ? thanks in advance :D

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

here's what you've got:

-edis 4
-pick up (vr sensor)
-coil pack
-wiring connectors (for edis, pickup & coil pack?)

what you say you need now:

-megajolt (you can order one for either TPS <-you'll need to obtain a TPS or MAP <-for this it will already have the MAP sensor)
-36:1 trigger wheel
-bracket for VR sensor (you can fab one up on your own)
-longer crank bolt (is this to mount the trigger wheel to the crank pulley? it would be more stable if it were either bolted to the pulley with at least 2 bolts or welded to it)

sounds to me like all the essentials. How 'bout the plug wires?

Go here if you need a "compass point" to compare against.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

oliver122

Post by oliver122 »

hey guys so i ordered my stuff up and decided to take a closer look at my loom tonight and it confussed me abit so i removed some of the loom tape

so am i right in thinking that the blue/yellow wire thats in with the brown and blue/red is to the pip and the blue/red is the saw ?

my other confusion is the ground , the brown cable that come out with the blue/yellow and blue/red comes form number 4 ( whats this for ? ) the shielding around the 3 cable (brown , blue/yellow and blue/red) is soldered up to the cable that goes to the pickup and this is soldered to the shielding and the cable thats number 7 is this all correct as in the drawing it says number 7 and 9 should be connected together so do they need connecting or do i just need to connect 9 down to earth ?

also can the cable going to the coil be as long as you want ( well inside the dash to the front of a classic mini engine bay ? )

also ive been told you can drive the tacho from the edis 4 unit how do you go about doing this , thanks in advance

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

Reference the image below for the appropriate pin outs. Don't go by the wire coloring. That can be arbitrary.

Notice the key ways on the diagram; they'll indicate which is your no. 1 pin out for your PIP signal.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."