V4 serial tuning cable question

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

alexander

V4 serial tuning cable question

Post by alexander »

hi all,
remind me: is the serial tuning cable the same as a common and garden telephone RJ11 cable?
the V4 in one of my cars is not communicating with the control software, and i am using a standard phone cable for that.
the V4 in my other car does communicate with the control software, but that is via a cable i bought with the MJ unit. yes, i could swap the cables, but that involves removing the car seat in car #2.....

ta.
alexander.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The tuning cable is a straight through cable - sometimes phone cables are wired backwards.

Could you take the new cable and test it in the known good environment? then you can narrow it down to the cable, or not.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

alexander

Post by alexander »

thanks, brent. the cable is just a normal phone cable which works as such, but the reality is i will have just have to take the seat out of the other car to get the known good cable out.

cheers.
alexander.

alexander

Post by alexander »

update: having a good look with a magnifying glass it seems that, as alluded to, all the telephone cables i possess, have the wires reversed one end to the other. naturally, getting access to the correct cable and other MJ unit took about as long as it took to remember my username / pwd for this forum and write the post!

so it is, as they say, all good.
obvious solution was to simply cut the telephone cable and resolder the wires in the right pattern.

regards,
alexander.
Last edited by alexander on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Awesome! thanks for the update.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter