Megajolt on a 2 stroke snowmobile engine

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

tonyb

Megajolt on a 2 stroke snowmobile engine

Post by tonyb »

For interest - I've had megajolt running on a 500cc 2 stroke twin Rotax Snowmobile engine fitted in a racing hovercraft, the installation and software were straightforward, wasted spark made it easy on the 2 stroke needing to fire every 180 degrees and the engine started first pull every time and seemed ran clean until run flat out when it misfired and it cut out twice in races without any apparent cause only to restart first pull when switched off and on again

eventually we took it out and ran it on a bench checking all the signals on a scope - it appears the EDIS4 begins to fall over around 8000rpm and completley cuts out at 8400rpm we tried different EDIS4 units and coils with the same result, peak power on the engine is around 8000 so i reckon it's a bit too close for comfort to run Megajolt especially if racing

sad to say i'm looking for an alternative system but it was fun trying thanks for help and advice given here especially from Brent who cares for his product and is always seeking to improve it

Tony

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the post! what rev limit were you hoping to attain?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

tonyb

Post by tonyb »

around the 8500 mark Brent, i'd probably stand a little misfire at that, like a rev limiter but not a full ignition cut, it seems the megajolt copes well but the EDIS limits it

peak power is 7900rpm on the engine and there's not much over-rev on a hovercraft as the fan absorbs all the Hp you give it, it's only likely to over-rev with a strong wind in your face

keep up the good work

tony