Trigger-wheel made from pulley

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mark pietz

Trigger-wheel made from pulley

Post by mark pietz »

Someone on this board hand-cut teeth into a pulley sheave for use on a SBC. That inspired a solution to my puzzlement in adapting an aftermarket wheel to my IH 196 c.i. four-banger. IH used a hub with stackable pulley arrangement like the Chevy. There are three sheaves possible, so I took a shallow one and turned it around, marked off where there missing tooth would go, fabbed a bracket, and sent the sheave off to Miller's Mule for proper milling of the teeth. His concern was that the metal may be too thin to generate the signal, but I don't think that will be the case. Because the added sheave is one too many for the thickness of the hub's boss, I machined an aluminum cap to pilot into another sheave, then drilled two holes for 1/4" roll pins to keep everything on center and solid. Project is now almost ready for its initial firing![/img]
Attachments
EDIS 1.jpeg
EDIS 1.jpeg (35.2 KiB) Viewed 6347 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted if that trigger wheel works for you - and you should showcase it in the "powered by Megajolt" section!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

mark pietz

Post by mark pietz »

I have other pics that really show how this went together, but I can only post one pic per post? Is there a way of multiple pics?

I need to get this rebuilt engine running before I swap over the special turbo parts. I'm reeeeeeeal close. I've cast my own intake elbow (made my own pattern and sand cast it!), and of course this engine needs EDIS/Megajolt to pull it all together. I did this same thing successfully on a '66 Corvair turbo. Bummer is that only last week my laptop was stolen, and on it was my only copy of the ignition map, along with all the previous data log information.

If someone wants to see the pics of this engine mocked up with the turbo stuff, and better detail of how I configured the trigger wheel, it can be viewed at "IH Only North", go to forums, go to Gas Engine, and find the thread "Limited Disassembly of a 196". This is a project that screams for a Megajolt!

mark pietz

Fuses

Post by mark pietz »

I'm essentially all wired up and my MJLT should arrive today or tomorrow. But I haven't completed the final wiring to it, and it's been a number of years since I did my last conversion. What fuse capacity do I use for the MJLT? I have access to 0.25 and 0.5 amp fuses. For the EDIS system (includes coils), should I use a 10, 20, or 30 amp fuse?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Mark,

0.5A for the megajolt and a 20A for the EDIS + coils should work.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

mpietz

Post by mpietz »

The unit arrived. Hope to have my truck running via MJLT by tomorrow!