Spitfire 15000 Rev counter (Smiths RVC) not working

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Spitty

Spitfire 15000 Rev counter (Smiths RVC) not working

Post by Spitty »

Hi,

I bought a driver for a spitfire 1500 with the RVC style smiths rev counter and have connected it up as the instructions ie the two wires going to the EDIS coil supplies from the EDIS unit and the single o/p from the driver going to the rev counter in place of the exisiting wire from the original HT coil, however, it doesn't work! :?

Any ideas would be welcome. 8)

I have the megajolt lite driving a ford edis which works perfectly apart from the rev counter won't work. :x

Also, my laptop doesn't have a 9 pin serial port; can i plug the RJ11 straight into the RJ11 socket on my laptop or won't this work? (i have tried this and get the message that the port cannot be opened, but don't know if this is because the MJolt needs the serial port or maybe my RJ11 isn't patched in?) Again, any ideas please.

Many thanks,

Steve

toenee

Post by toenee »

Try it from the Tacho pin on the Megajolt plug.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_ve ... tion_guide

Spitty

Post by Spitty »

Thanks,
Do i just connect a single cable from the MJ connector to the tacho input and remove the driver board connections totally 8) ?

toenee

Post by toenee »

Yep thats how my smiths tacho is wired, originally out a a MGB.

Spitty

Post by Spitty »

Nice n easy then; my tacho should be the same as yr MGB in principal as they're both 'old school' technology! Great cars of the 70's and 80's... 8)

toenee

Post by toenee »

Yep does tend to flutter a little, at certain rpms. I've got one of the tacho conditioning boards to try just not got around to it yet.

Spitty

Disillusioned...

Post by Spitty »

Tried connecting the tach out of the MJ to my tacho and still doesn't work :evil: :?
Any more ideas or suggestions anyone?
Also, still cannot get my laptop to see or open the com port; it has 4 usb ports and when i plug in the usb/serial adaptor, it acknowledges the hardware but won't let me access it through the Configurator in the MJ software - all ports are greyed out. HELP!

Spitty

Post by Spitty »

Thanks,

My only problem would be that i'm keeping the original HT system installed too "just in case" the MJ packs in then i can easily flick two switches (one switches the +ve between the original coil and the MJ/EDIS system and the other selects the tacho i/p from either the original coil or the MJ setup) swap the HT leads back to the coil and off we go!
this way, i need the tacho to be able to receive the origianl i/p from the coil without any additional internal electronics.

Cheers,

Steve