Steering angle sensor- best ideas!

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

that looks fantastic; Just made me think it could be done with a 3D printer as well. Keep us posted!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We just used a string potentiometer on our Merkur XR4Ti as a steering angle sensor. About a 30 minute install and worked very well. Used stranded copper wire to link the potentiometer to the shaft combined with some aluminum tape to anchor it. A more elegant install might be stainless wire with a tapped anchor screw.

Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

Hey Brent,

what are the specs on that string potentiometer?

Jake

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Jake,

it's the 12" version we have in our store. More information on our blog post here:

http://www.autosportlabs.com/30-minute- ... r-install/
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

smig

Post by smig »

After a few minor tweaks it's installed and ready for some testing and calibration:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Fantastic! can you share the part numbers from Amazon on those parts?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jcordle

Post by jcordle »

brentp wrote:Fantastic! can you share the part numbers from Amazon on those parts?
YES! THIS! Please? :lol:

smig

Post by smig »

Here is the listing for the pot that I used:
http://amzn.com/B00HKJ2J08

Unfortunately it appears the price on these have nearly doubled since I made my purchase. It might be worth looking around for a better price or equivalent/similar part.

The gears I used came from here:
http://amzn.com/B002Q0PA34

The rest is just aluminium stock and standard hardware.

smig

Post by smig »

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This looks like a great 3D printing project, too. thanks for sharing!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

Is a single turn pot enough? I have some 5-turn pots from some old equipment I was going to use. I think mine is 2.7 lock to lock.

smig

Post by smig »

I think it would be a really good fit for a 3d project. I'm not sure what the variations in steering column diameters/dimension are, but a press fit onto my column (94 Integra) would work well and simplify things. If the bracket from the pot was slotted, then it could be made to be pretty generic I think.

smig

Post by smig »

jakekooser wrote:Is a single turn pot enough? I have some 5-turn pots from some old equipment I was going to use. I think mine is 2.7 lock to lock.
Taking into account that gearing 1.33:1 I've got enough for what I want to look at. I decided I wanted more resolution in the region that the wheel should be spending the majority of it's ontrack life. If I'm using more steering than that I'm either in the pits/paddock or things have already gone pear shape and I should be looking a what happened in the data previous to this ;) The pot also doesn't have a hard stop so it can continuously rotate with out any mechanical issue.

However for other applications I can see that more turns would be most likely needed/desirable and if you have existing parts that you don't need to pay for, then I'd go for it!

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

Good points, and I didn't mean to question your specific application. Interesting points about the resolution of the data. I guess as long as you stay within the 'normal' range you will be fine. No hard stops helps a lot too, I could see pots getting broken often with that.

smig

Post by smig »

jakekooser wrote: I didn't mean to question your specific application.
Hey jakekooser questions are welcome and there is always an opportunity to improve. Until this gets some significant time being driven in anger, anything is possible, including going back to the drawing board. ;)