Running RaceAnalyzer in Wine

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

GameboyRMH

Running RaceAnalyzer in Wine

Post by GameboyRMH »

It seems that the Windows version of RaceAnalyzer works fine in Wine once you set up the serial port. You just need to link the device as shown here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1335098

To get the name of the RaceCapture serial port just run "ls /dev/ | grep tty" before and after plugging the RCP in. Mine showed up as "/dev/ttyACM0" so then I just had to run "ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1" and then the RCP will show up as attached to COM1 whenever you plug it in.

GameboyRMH

Post by GameboyRMH »

Oh wait just found a bug. If you try to import a datalog you get a wxwidgets error.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Cool you got it working under wine! So realize the app is written in wxWidgets and should compile fairly cleanly into Linux and OSX with minimal work. I think the only work would be around the serial device driver.

If you or anyone might be interested in helping doing the porting work to these different platforms drop us an email to [email protected].

Also, GameboyRMH, could you email the logfile you're trying to import to the same address?

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

GameboyRMH

Post by GameboyRMH »

I'm at work right now but I got the error with both a short log taken from my default-setup RCP (Data Junkie package) and the sample file from this thread:

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=3653

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I thought you might've generated your own log file. There is a current issue we're working that causes a problem when you import a log file with an channel name that RaceAnalyzer doesn't recognize in it's list of known channels. Working on a fix for that tonight.

Can you see if the same thing happens under a regular windows installation?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GTIspirit

Windows 7 also affected

Post by GTIspirit »

The same thing also happens under Windows 7, so this doesn't appear to be confined to Wine. Screenshot attached as an attachment. Log file sent to Brent via PM.

Oh, and this was using the default configuration loaded into the unit prior to shipping. Testing in my living room to see how well the GPS location correlates to my smartphone and if my house is acclerating ;)
Attachments
Widgets_error.jpg
Widgets_error.jpg (24.47 KiB) Viewed 6039 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This is interesting - I'm not seeing this error currently. Let me get an updated build on the server and we'll see if the error is still there.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

GameboyRMH, does this happen when you start RaceAnalyzer fresh and then click the green down arrow on the toolbar?

What happens if you first create a new RaceEvent (toolbar icon on left size with lightning bolt), and then click the green import arrow?

The error is complaining about how a dialog box is configured, but I can't reproduce on my end. It seems to be happening for some and not others. Knowing what steps are involved will help nail this one down.

Also, did you get the "error reading datalog file header" after you clicked "No" on the first error?

thanks,

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I think I might've recreated the problem. During import, did you de-select some of the channels in the datalog?

GameboyRMH

Post by GameboyRMH »

brentp wrote:GameboyRMH, does this happen when you start RaceAnalyzer fresh and then click the green down arrow on the toolbar?

What happens if you first create a new RaceEvent (toolbar icon on left size with lightning bolt), and then click the green import arrow?

The error is complaining about how a dialog box is configured, but I can't reproduce on my end. It seems to be happening for some and not others. Knowing what steps are involved will help nail this one down.

Also, did you get the "error reading datalog file header" after you clicked "No" on the first error?

thanks,
Tried a couple of different methods. I started RaceAnalyzer fresh, pressed the green down arrow, created a new race event, imported Aaron.log - left all fields selected, then when I clicked Import it gave the same error.

Then I started RaceAnalyzer fresh again, created a new event with the toolbar button, pressed the green down arrow, imported Aaron.log, left all fields selected, hit Import and got the same error.

And yes I always get the "error reading datalog file header" error after clicking "No" on the first error. "Cancel" brings up the same error and "Yes" crashes the program.

I didn't get to do any Windows testing because the mobo on my only Windows PC failed Tuesday night :(

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

brentp wrote:This is interesting - I'm not seeing this error currently.
That's because you made it so you know how to use it. ;)

Here's how I recreate it:

Start a new session of Race Analyzer 1.16.0
File -> Open Race Event
Select the default rc_0.radb that came with Race Analyzer.
"Error Opening Failed to open Race Event: Failed to query for datalog Ids" message appears. Click OK.
File -> Import Datalog -> browse to a test .log file. Next, Next
"Unhandled exception An unhandled exception occurred. Press "Abort" to terminate the program, "Retry" to exit the program normally and "Ignore" to try to continue." Click Ignore, then Next, then Import.
Then you get the widgets error noted above.

It appears that the default .radb file that ships with Race Analyzer is not valid. My suggestion would be to either not include a .radb file or to include one that matches the default hardware configuration, which is set to log GPS and accelerometer data.

Since the alpha users must not have this problem, I figured it must be user error. So I figured out the correct way to view a logfile.
File -> Import Datalog
"No Race Event Loaded. Create a new one?" Click Yes.
Type a file name in the dialog box. Save.
Import Datalog dialog box appears, browse to desired file. Open, Next, Next, Import, Finish.

Alternately
File -> New Race Event
File -> Import Datalog, brose to desired file. Open, Next, Next, Import, Finish.

So the "bug" appears to be a combination of user error and an invalid default configuration file.

GameboyRMH

Post by GameboyRMH »

GTIspirit wrote: Since the alpha users must not have this problem, I figured it must be user error. So I figured out the correct way to view a logfile.
File -> Import Datalog
"No Race Event Loaded. Create a new one?" Click Yes.
Import Datalog dialog box appears, browse to desired file. Open, Next, Next, Import, Finish.

Alternately
File -> New Race Event
File -> Import Datalog, brose to desired file. Open, Next, Next, Import, Finish.

So the "bug" appears to be a combination of user error and an invalid default configuration file.
Tried both of these in Wine, still got the same error after I hit Import (with the "Aaron.log" sample file). I'm using "RaceAnalyzer V1.1.6" (that's what it says in the title bar.)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Can you post the aaron.log file you have here (or link back to where you found it) - I wanted to make sure an older log file format didn't sneak in somewhere.

The headers of the log file changed shortly before we shipped our first perk level and if RaceCapture/Pro tries to load that older format it may cause an error.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GameboyRMH

Post by GameboyRMH »

I found the Aaron.log sample file in this thread:

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=3653

The headers are different from the ones produced by my default-setup RCP now that I look at it. I repeated the two methods recommended by GTIspirit with a log file from my RCP and got the same results though.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Can you post a sample logfile produced by your unit? Only need a short file - just start/stop logging quickly.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter