How to get RPM on BMW E30 M42 DIS.

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

sbarton

How to get RPM on BMW E30 M42 DIS.

Post by sbarton »

Anyone know how to log RPM with DIS system? Specifically BMW E30 M42 4cyl which has DIS (the M20 6cyl has a dizzy).

-Scott
Duct Tape Motorsports
MyTrackSchedule.com - Your key to more track events!

blalor

Post by blalor »

The easiest way is to tap into the signal in the instrument cluster. I was able to get fuel level, coolant temperature and RPM on my old E30 by creating a wiring harness that I spliced in-line with the cluster. All of those can be wired directly to RaceCapture/Pro, as the voltages are safe. Looks like that feeds into pin 7 of connector 1 on the back of the cluster (I forget which color that one is). It's also available via pin 9 on C101 (the round plug under the hood). See page 6201-2 of the ETM.
Brian Lalor
Autosport Labs

sbarton

Post by sbarton »

Awesome info. Thanks Brian. I ripped out the 2002 cluster due to wiring issues. Do you know the C101 pin numbers for coolant and tach? Any other stuff of the C101 you can think of that could be recorded by the RCP?

-Scott
Duct Tape Motorsports

blalor

Post by blalor »

Tach is 9 (black), coolant is 4 (brown/violet). The fuel sender only goes to the cluster, and it has has two signals: level (brown/green) and a switch for the low-fuel light (brown/grey).
Brian Lalor
Autosport Labs

sbarton

Post by sbarton »

OK, next question. Tach goes to Pin 20 (frequency/pulse input 1). Which pin or bank of inputs would coolant temp go.
Thanks.

-Scott
Last edited by sbarton on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duct Tape Motorsports

blalor

Post by blalor »

That'll go to one of the analog inputs, pins 8-14.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCaptur ... onnections

I've never calibrated the coolant sender on an E30 (I don't know if the M20 and M42 are the same sensor), but if someone does, that'd be useful. I have a feeling there are going to be a few of these cars getting RaceCapture'd!

You can do the same with the fuel level. I did roughly calibrate our team's car, but we have the original instrument cluster and I have a feeling the signal feeding into RCP may be dependent on the presence of the gauge…
Brian Lalor
Autosport Labs

sbarton

Post by sbarton »

Mapping the raw values to actual temps may be hard. I don't have a temp gauge in the 2002 so can't use it to reference. Basically I just want to be able to see trends for right now. Will have to install in my E30 to get the values, but prolly won't be able to do that till end of June. I assume the M20 and M42 are the same since they use the same gauge.

I've got an ATL fuel sender in the 2002 so mine will be different than stock E30. :(. Again, can install in my E30 to find out later.

-Scott
Last edited by sbarton on Wed May 22, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duct Tape Motorsports

sbarton

Post by sbarton »

BTW, not really related to this but one useful 'sensor' you guys may want to add in the FAQ or sensors is the oem brake light switch. This will basically log when the driver is actually on the brakes. Very easy to install and setup on all cars, so worth a mention.

Brake light switch coupled with TPS is very useful info for working on driver performance. It showed me how much 'coasting' I was doing. How well I transitioned from throttle to brakes and back to throttle and really allowed me to focus on that and make big improvements. You may think you are doing it well, but data doesn't lie! :)

-Scott
Duct Tape Motorsports

blalor

Post by blalor »

That's a great idea. Fred's big on measuring brake *pressure*, but merely on/off the brakes would be really useful. You can do this today, of course. Just feed the switch into one of the digital inputs on the RCP and away you go! :-) You could probably do throttle position with the existing sensor, too, but you'd obviously want to make sure that doesn't impact any readings the ECU needs. The RCP's inputs are very high impedance and shouldn't load the circuit down, but stranger things have happened.
Brian Lalor
Autosport Labs

sbarton

Post by sbarton »

Yep, that's what I'm suggesting. You should put that up in the FAQ, sensors, or install section or somewhere. :)

-Scott
Duct Tape Motorsports

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Scott: all are docs are a wiki, so you are free to edit them too! :)
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

blalor wrote:That's a great idea. Fred's big on measuring brake *pressure*, but merely on/off the brakes would be really useful. You can do this today, of course. Just feed the switch into one of the digital inputs on the RCP and away you go! :-) You could probably do throttle position with the existing sensor, too, but you'd obviously want to make sure that doesn't impact any readings the ECU needs. The RCP's inputs are very high impedance and shouldn't load the circuit down, but stranger things have happened.
I noticed on my MR2 that when I connected the race capture to the TPS it did effect the output at the ECU. Fortunately I'm running a Hydra EMS system, so re-programing the TPS in the ECU to the new output was easy, but at least in my case it did have an effect. If I recall correctly it made the old 100% calibration appear as only about 70%.

The brake on/off is a good idea, I may need to try that...

blalor

Post by blalor »

Good to know. Thanks, Alex!
Brian Lalor
Autosport Labs

Matt D.

Post by Matt D. »

Awesome information, by the way. I've just installed RC/P into our E36 328i and have been pouring over the wiring diagrams for a week. I looked at the fuel gauge plug first because it seemed the most simple, and what was said up above concerning the E30 is exactly how the E36 looks.

I'll start an E36 thread in the next week or two to share what I find.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Brilliant. We'll need to get wiki pages up as well for different makes / models!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter