All log files have a date of 12/31/1999 11:00 PM

Report any thing that looks like a bug or problem in the system here

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

sbarton

All log files have a date of 12/31/1999 11:00 PM

Post by sbarton »

All of my log files have the same date. 12/31/1999 11:00 PM, making it hard to easily figure out when they were actually logged.

-Scott
Duct Tape Motorsports
MyTrackSchedule.com - Your key to more track events!

GTIspirit

Re: All log files have a date of 12/31/1999 11:00 PM

Post by GTIspirit »

sbarton wrote:All of my log files have the same date. 12/31/1999 11:00 PM, making it hard to easily figure out when they were actually logged.

-Scott
LOL, that's not a bug, it's a "feature." :wink: There is no clock or keep alive memory in the unit, as far as I know, so no internal clock. I agree with you, it would be a huge help to have the file date and time correct. To do that I think Brent needs to integrate a function to get time from the GPS signal.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yes, it's a grey area between bug and feature. We have it on our list to timestamp the files with a date provided by GPS, if available.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

andylaurence

Post by andylaurence »

Grey area? I'd say that's a midnight grey at its lightest! Definitely a bug - the timestamp should be the current date. The GPS provides the current time, so surely the unit should sync with the GPS time and use that to write the date? Every other data logger I've had does this.
Sprinting an ADR Sport 2
www.endurancelay.co.uk

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

How about Onyx or Midnight Blue? In any case it's definitely on the list. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mattlqx

Post by mattlqx »

I second this. It's not just a nice-to-have, it's something that will keep your sanity when you have 16 hours of logs through 8-10 sessions.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks, Matt. We're on it! :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

So, any followup on this? I'm starting to look at 20 datafiles from two guys running one car at today's autocross, and no way to know whose runs are whose. I opened a logfile in notepad, but don't see any GPS time info. As noted above, file creation timestamp defaults to unknown.

I'm looking to duplicate what I used to do with MaxQData's right-now analysis of captured data, especially overlaying two runs in one view to see where one pass was faster than the other (line comparison, braking point, etc).

On the bright side, the accel and yaw data looks great, I'm a lot more confident in your numbers than the GPS-derived accel I got from MaxQData. Then I've got to start wiring sensors in...

Tom

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

thanks for the follow-up. File time-stamping likely show up in the V2 firmware and app upgrade we're working on releasing. *Probably* beta testing next week. We're working on the new app (a replacement to RaceAnalyzer) that will expose the V2 features.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

toga94m wrote:So, any followup on this? I'm starting to look at 20 datafiles from two guys running one car at today's autocross, and no way to know whose runs are whose. I opened a logfile in notepad, but don't see any GPS time info.
Ohhhhhhhh wait. I retract the previous comment. I'm logging "time" once per second (by default) which gives me a text string that imports to Excel as a number. But the NMEA standard says it's encoded as hhmmss.sss in UTC, so it turns out there *is* a timestamp embedded in the data! Not a date, but I can figure that part out myself.

And since we know roughly what time of day each run group started/ended, I can figure out whose runs are whose.

Tom

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Well, that should help! We'll still get the files time / date stamped, however. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter