AT&T Issues

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

James Crivellone

AT&T Issues

Post by James Crivellone »

Just switched over to an AT&T SIM card for greater coverage, using the 5GB Data Sim, user of [email protected], PASSWORD of CINGULAR1, and host of wap.cingular.

I get the carrier detected, AT&T can see the device registered, however no data is being transmitted from it. SIM works fine.

Anything I'm missing here?
Last edited by James Crivellone on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R3VLimited / Accuracy Automotive Racing, ICSCC Pro3 Cars #160 and #13

James Crivellone

Update: Apparently wap.cingular is being phased out for data sims, hence why it was not working.

switched to a new apn of broadband without any other details and it connects fine via my test smartphone, will toss it back in the racecapture tonight and see what it does.

EDIT: Appears to only be Edge atm on my test phone, either way I have an uplink. Going to toss it back in the car here shortly and see what happens.
Last edited by James Crivellone on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Thanks for keeping us updated! AT&T support is new so we need to know of any edge cases with connecting.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

James Crivellone

Tested and confirmed

If you purchase an AT&T Data Only SIM you need to set the APN to "broadband" no user, no password.

Worked great all weekend, ran into an interesting issue when reading and writing configs though, for some reason it would constantly wipe out my Telemetry settings whenever I made a change elseware

Chumpcar101

Att APN settings

Post by Chumpcar101 »

I too am having the same issues with ATT. I spoke with them today about the correct APN Host and settings. So this is what I was told. That the APN Host wap.cingular settings as listed on the telemetry quick start are correct if your device is a 3g or older device. However if it is 4g device the APN host is only phone all lower case without a user name or password.
I will try the new apn host this evening and will post with the out come.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Chumpcar101,

What exact AT&T plan did you choose? There is one pre-paid data plan oriented towards wifi-hotsports that will *not* work. You need a pre-paid smartphone plan that includes data.

Let us know and we'll help you get sorted out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Chumpcar101

Post by Chumpcar101 »

I added an 10 dollar share plan phone to my att account. It is not prepaid but includes data

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I pinged James Crivellone directly on the exact plan he is using.

Chumpcar101, let us know exactly what pre-paid plan you're using from AT&T, and also try James's suggestion of setting the APN to "broadband" no user, no password.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We have not tested it that way. Did AT&T tell you what APN settings to use for smartphone data mode?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Chumpcar101

Post by Chumpcar101 »

Yes 4g is just phone (lower case) in apn host but no user name or password needed

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

It is likely that service plan variation is not supported by the cellular module.

Have you tried a T-Mobile sim card, as an experiment? What other SIM cards have you tried it with?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter