EDIS8 controlled Mercedes M113 V8 twin spark?????

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

philt

EDIS8 controlled Mercedes M113 V8 twin spark?????

Post by philt »

Hi,
I am currently working on a Merc S500 V8 engine, this is the single cam 3 valve per cylinder design which uses twin spark ignition.I have the engine running on a test stand using Ford coil packs x 4 and a DTA P8PRO ecu.However this is an untidy solution (16 plug leads!) and would much prefer to use the original Merc coil packs.These were a coil near plug design with one coil pack per cylinder.Each coil pack has 3 connections, 12v supply and two switched O/P's from the ecu.I think Merc would stagger fire each cylinder under certain circumstances to give greater smoothness etc, this is not a concern for my application.From the above it can be seen that I would requiere 16 O/P's to fire all the coil pack primaries.
My question is could I connect each coil pack with the primaries in series ie 12v to the first switched connection, 2nd switched connection to the ecu O/P?I propose to use two EDIS8 modules, one for each bank, so O/P A would switch the supply through 1 coil pack (2xprimaries in series).I understand that they must be connected in series, parallel connection would result in much reduced spark.The EDIS8 module would control dwell to achieve the correct primary current but would probably increase the time req to reach that current.This should not be an issue as the coil is only req to fire once per engine revolution.
I would appreciate any thoughts on the above, I am currently building a test rig to try to prove that it will work.
Thanks,
Phil.

philt

Merc V8 running

Post by philt »

Short video of engine running (coil packs).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo3wfMgpmZI
Cheers,
Phil.