thoughts on using the "discussion" wiki pages?

General discussion on Autosport Labs, the mission, website, content, etc.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

redparchel

thoughts on using the "discussion" wiki pages?

Post by redparchel »

Hi all,

TL;DR - can the community use the wiki discussion pages to propose content/changes to the wiki?

I believe the wiki () and the forums () compliment each other well. However, I'd love to see the wiki get more usable best practice/quick/definitive facts on it more quickly. The autosports team has done an amazing job providing a good base for how to use their products on the wiki, and that's where I got most of my "getting started" info. And then the community (and autosport labs team) in the forums have been great to fill in specific things for my install that I was missing or had questions about. But I believe some of the great info that's buried in the forms could make its way up to the wiki to become de facto standards and to help get that kind of vetted information into the hands of users as an easy to find resource/reference.

While I think the autosport labs folks probably want to hold onto the last right to what is posted on the wiki pages maybe we could open up the "discussion" wiki pages (each wiki page has it's own discussion page typically used to discuss possible changes to that page) to allow individuals the ability to propose additions or changes to the linked page? Allowing community members to ability to suggest new content/changes that they found useful in practice

-Rich

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the suggestions. As soon as we can do something to protect against the spam hordes waiting at the gate, we'll open up the wiki to logins. Right now we're looking at the akismet plugin ; there's an experimental one for wikimedia.

We're also looking at upgrading the forum software to http://www.discourse.org/ - a possible better orthogonal pairing between the wiki documentation and the free-flow of the forums.

Thanks for the feedback!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

redparchel

Post by redparchel »

that's great information! Glad you guys were thinking along the same lines. I've used akismet with wordpress in the past it worked well enough to keep spammers at bay.

I hadn't seen Discourse before, so I just played with it for a bit, it's a really cool piece of software! tons of features I've wished previous forums had in the past, and a lot of technologies I didn't know I wished they'd had.

Thanks for sharing your plan/thoughts, I'm looking forward to the communities future here!
-Rich