My RCP now with 100% more GoPro!

Post here to say hello! Tell us what you drive, what race series you participate in and how you want to use Race Capture to help you go faster. Pics extra welcome!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

finse

My RCP now with 100% more GoPro!

Post by finse »

Evening all, I wanted to take a minute a share with you what I have been working on for the last several weeks. I'm a amateur driver and don't participate in organized events, but I have been working on honing my skills and testing my modifications to the car on lapping days. A useful tool in the past was reviewing video from my cell phone video + odb2 data from my cobb access port.

I'm really excited about RCP as now I am going to have expanded data into my oil pressure, MAP and O2! And more, as soon as I buy and install more sensors :)

I spent several months getting the car ready with new sensors and wiring up a location for the RCP, but in the last few weeks I have shifted focus to ensuring my RCP can let my GoPro know it's time to record!

This system is going in my Legacy. I sourced a folding mirror button that I plan to re-purpose as my "Logging Button", the RCP is living in the armrest/console (almost exact center of the car) and my gopro should go where ever the hell I feel like it.

You can see the demo I made here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MLkzAThTk
If you interested, I've written up most of it on my website (check my profile).

There is still a fair number of bugs, and it take a long time to boot. But I have some pretty good ideas on how to get past the hurdles!

Cheers,
Ryan

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

Very nice! I'll probably be tinkering with something similar in the future. Right now I have a Mobius dash cam and a mini 0801 that I will most likely use the RCP to turn on a relay to power a USB hub, then the cameras start recording on their own. Curious how you'll handle synching data and video.

finse

Post by finse »

Thanks! The sync of the audio / data stream is going to be tricky. Right now I am thinking of something along the lines of a piezo buzzer that will give a climbing audible single that will be also be logged on a RCP analog in as a similar climbing value. Of course this will only work if the camera is in range of the piezo, but one problem at a time I suppose...

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

Maybe pulsing one of the outputs connected to a piezo. That only works for inside cameras, if you add rear-view or bumper's eye view you'll miss that. It would be nice to be able to sync exterior cameras as well.

finse

Post by finse »

An excellent point. Perhaps rather then using a piezo, I'll use my horn. That should be audible from all places in/around the vehicle.

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

I had also thought of an LED that is in the field of view of the cameras, but it would have to be outside for some angles, and in the sun...

MichaelDrost

Post by MichaelDrost »

Have any of you considered a 12v led? I've hooked one up to the brakelight and RCP (with a resistor).

Led is visible to the GoPro. Syncing data and video is sooo easy after that. I personally use Dashware, but there are a few out there ...

Example >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUgER92mtM4

jakekooser

Post by jakekooser »

I hadn't gotten to the specifics of it, but I had considered an LED. A larger one like you sent a link to might do the trick as long as it's in view of the camera. Nice video!