OBDII via bluetooth?

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

fsparv

OBDII via bluetooth?

Post by fsparv »

Bought SoloStorm + racecapture pro, and installed the RCP in dash with vibration reducing mounts and am quite pleased with the result. I've actually found it easiest to just grab the sd card from RCP and sync up the data with the video afterwards in RaceRender. Haven't been using the SoloStorm as much as I had expected. This is not because of any issue with RCP, they seem to connect just fine, but it is mostly because SoloStorm doesn't integrate with my Sony Action Cam.

Anway, I'd like to begin getting more data into the log. Obviously an NGX wideband AFR or similar will need me to run a wire to the RCP. However, in addtion I'd like to get OBDII data. I also want to get all my data logged into a single file so I don't have to try to sync it up. If I can get the OBDII to flow IN to RCP and into the logs then I'll be happy (and Solostorm will continue to be window dressing). However if I can only get SoloStorm to pul the OBDII data and then have to use SoloStorm as my data source that makes the system more complex. Also I am not clear on whether RCP would send along the AFR wideband data into SoloStorm as well... so that might leave me with split data...

So is it possible to get OBDII data flowing into RCP (via bluetooth or otherwise?)

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi fsparv! We are working on OBDII support for RaceCapture, stay tuned for more updates :)
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

fsparv

Post by fsparv »

rdoherty wrote:Hi fsparv! We are working on OBDII support for RaceCapture, stay tuned for more updates :)
Will it be a software upgrade or a hardware upgrade? Bluetooth sounded attractive to me because that's probably just software...

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

It will be hardware, but easily installable.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

fsparv

Post by fsparv »

Ok, cool, as long as that's not too expensive :)

ETA?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Update on the V2 software supporting CAN and OBD-II (for 2008+ vehicles).
http://www.autosportlabs.com/racecaptur ... -its-here/

CANx module add-on is coming shortly.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

cmathews

Post by cmathews »

Will the upcoming adaptor work with all 96 and up vehicles (with OBDii)?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

The CANx adapter for MK1 and MK2's built in CAN bus port will work directly with OBD-II vehicles that implement the CAN bus protocol. Typically, this is 2008+ vehicles, but there are some older vehicles that implemented CAN early.
A good list is here: http://www.auterraweb.com/aboutcan.html

We are also working on an adapter that will turn an old-style OBD-II ECU into CAN compatible OBD-II interface. The way it will work is like this:

(Old style OBD-II ecu) - > (OBD-II CAN bridge) -> (RaceCapture/Pro)

This bridge will be a small inline box that will be between the OBD-II port and RaceCapture/Pro.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

cmathews

Post by cmathews »

Awesome... Do you have an estimate for the availability of the OBDII a CAN Bus bridge?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Possibly testing by end of year. It's high on our priority list.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

shmed

Post by shmed »

Will there be a CAN adapter that doesn't require an OBD-II port? My ECU talks CAN, but doesn't have an OBD port.

shmed

Post by shmed »

Think I might be being dumb. Just looked on my ECU doc and it has a CAN High and a CAN Low pinout. Id there a pinout diagram for the CAN-OBD2 module from Autosportlabs?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Shmed,

With RaceCapture/Pro you are not limited to just OBD-II; virtually any CAN bus protocol can be supported, so long as the CAN bus protocol documentation is available.

You can see an example of this here, where we tap into a Lotus Elise instrument cluster (not OBD-II) http://www.autosportlabs.com/pre-obd-ii ... -can-data/

RaceCapture/Pro MK2 will support 2 CAN bus channels; RaceCapture/Pro MK1 will support one with the optional CANX module we are releasing in about 1 months time. More info on the CANx module: https://github.com/autosportlabs/CANx
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

cmathews

Post by cmathews »

Any updates on the OBD-II CAN bridge for older OBD-II cars?

I'd like to order and install the RaceCapture Pro, but am concerned about what I'd do without the OBD-II CANA bridge.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks - We're targeting end of this year for testing, Q1 we'll be deep into testing with existing customers.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter