Hello from Pittsburgh

Post here to say hello! Tell us what you drive, what race series you participate in and how you want to use Race Capture to help you go faster. Pics extra welcome!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

bwautosport

Hello from Pittsburgh

Post by bwautosport »

Hello,

Just received my RaceCapture/Pro 2; getting rolling with booting it up for the first time.
Looks great, looking forward to "test-driving" in the road car while we move towards winter. Once we get to spring, will be installing in our vintage racers. Hoping to interface a few sensors for temps, pressures, and obviously looking forward to the live telemetry!

A note to anyone running Windows XP in Virtualbox, make sure you enable the 2D/3D acceleration (if your host is capable), otherwise, Kivy has issues. Question for the devs: on your github is looks like racecapture.py was dropped in a merge/commit - was that intentional? Was hoping to explore a bit more "natively" on the Linux side.

Great stuff! Keep it up.

-Ian

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the intro! got a pic of your race car?

The latest in the repository has the main executable changed to main.py so it will play well with the android build.

Did you get the bluetooth module? if so, you can play along beta testing the new version of the android app from the play store. Just sign up here on this mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... ta-testers

Good point about the graphics drivers, you need OpenGL 2. However, you can get it running really well natively in linux, too.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

bwautosport

Post by bwautosport »

Hey Brent,

Thanks for the welcome!

Here's our Mini:

And our BMW:

There's also a vintage Formula Vee tucked in the barn, but, that's down to bare frame at the moment, waiting to be rebuilt.

+1 on main.py. My brain wasn't thinking as I was reading the README that something might have changed, and a hasty scan of the git log didn't turn anything up. Runs just fine now, thank you!

I did get the BT module, will sign up for beta shortly - I was able to pair with the app currently available in the Google Store without issue. Next up is to get a SIM card, so I can drive around with it.

Cheers,
Ian

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That's fantastic! So, vintage class racing then?

What kind of sensors are you looking to connect initially?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

bwautosport

Post by bwautosport »

brentp wrote:That's fantastic! So, vintage class racing then?

What kind of sensors are you looking to connect initially?
Initially, basic temperature and pressure for oil, temperature for water, and EGTs.

We've got these already covered in analog gauges, but we're looking at the live telemetry as a means of being able to anticipate over-heating/oil pressure issues so we can signal to shut it/slow it down and hopefully avoid a blown motor. Down the road, getting TPS sensors installed, and some kind of tire temp monitoring would be great.

Thanks!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Excellent - keep sharing your build progress and questions. And thanks for the pics! Do you have a website / blog where you're documenting the work?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

bwautosport

Post by bwautosport »

Brent, I'll document on our website at bwautosport.com (linked in my sig).

Right now, I just have the hardware on my desk at work, and haven't had much chance to do anything more than smoke test. Will follow up in the the more technical sub-forums once I get rolling. :D

-Ian