Megajolt/E for running a BMW M52?

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

FourSprungLeafTechnique

Megajolt/E for running a BMW M52?

Post by FourSprungLeafTechnique »

Firstly, Hello! This looks like one very very handy forum. :D

So for my first post an awkward question: I'm building/installing a propane fed BMW M52 engine aka E36/E39 vintage.

Fueling wise I've already been running a standalone simple closed loop vaccum propane system that uses 1 lambda sensor to trim the fueling if necessary although crucially it doesn't need it to run so doesn't rely on any electronics.

This sums up what I'm after. Simplicity and the ability to be repaired or adjusted quickly during competitions in harsh environments rather than outright poke.

This system can deliver more than enough fuel at the right rates for a 2.8litre M52 engine.

But that "just" leaves the ignition. I've always planned to use a Megajolt but now that I'm looking more into it there's a few questions that remain:

The M52 being a coil on plug engine, I'm guessing to run a Megajolt/E I'm going to have to convert it to the EDIS coil system? If anyone's done this before I'd love to know what leads and mounts were used to prevent tracking. I've yet to get dimensions etc of the coil/plug orifices...Will do shortly.

It's still got it's standard trigger wheel and sensor on the front which I guess will be a BMW 60-2 unit. I've read that the megajolt can be run with such a trigger wheel but I'd love to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Finally I need to drive the VANOS solenoid. (This is a single VANOS engine) Originally this is one of the things that made me think go Megajolt, the RPM based 4 channel outputs.

However VANOS needs to be switched more than once throughout the rev range. I'm guessing the Megajolt unit can't do this per se and I'll have to use 2 channels and a set of interposing relays to produce a signal that is brought energised at for example at 2000rpm but is switched back off 4000rpm?

Any help would be gratefully received and faithfully applied!

:D

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

You are looking for features that should be on the new Megajolt 2, but we have been holding our breath for that for so many years that I wouldn't bet on when it will materialise. The Edis system doesn't only mean using the coil and Edis module but also convert to a 36-1 trigger wheel; it won't work with a 60-2. Don't know how difficult that is to swap the trigger wheel on your engine. Is VANOS a variable air intake system? The outputs MJ offers are of a non signal - signal type, they switch at a specified trigger value, either off-on or on-off. This can be rpm, load or a signal from the AUX input.

Alex

FourSprungLeafTechnique

Cheers for that Alex. I'd got the outputs for the VANOS sorted then but trigger wheel change is a big no no. You don't want to know what torque figure is on that front pulley.....

I too had seen the Megajolt2 and then realised it's only mythical. :cry:

Not good when I heard DTA closed this week as well. Will find someone who can fire 6 spark plugs at the right time!

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Try Nodiz, which is ignition only, or Megasquirt. Nodiz is the cheaper one that doesn't need an Edis module; it has inbuilt coil drivers. Doubt if it supports COP but you can always ask. When you try Ebay UK it will show up.

Alex

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi!

Yes- mythical up until now. I'll keep this brief because we've been saying this for a long time now, but Megajolt2 will be a reality this year.

Staffing and team members have ramped up at Autosport Labs to handle multiple major projects and, as a result, we will be releasing the next generation Megajolt system that is professional, high performance and versatile - while still being affordable.

Thanks for your interest! We'll be socializing it wide and far when it it announced.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

FourSprungLeafTechnique

Cheers for the response Brent.

The build is heading toward the point where within 2 months I'll start to be looking at wiring.....