No spark, or tack signal

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

dougkehl

No spark, or tack signal

Post by dougkehl »

Hey everyone,

I just installed Megajolt in my mk1 volkswagen rabbit. I seem to be running into trouble with spark. There is no spark at all as well there is no tach readings on either the Megajolt tach or on the actual tach in the dashboard.

Both the Megajolt and the EDIS4 moduel are connected to the same switched 12v power supply and grounded to the same point on the chassis. The Megajolt seems to work fine, and is supplying 12v to the coil (I'm using the hard rev limiter) and is measuring the manifold pressure while cranking.

The VR sensor is not getting any voltage while cranking.. I thought at first maybe I had flipped the wires and had the polarity wrong, but that's not the case.

I'm thinking the second hand EDIS4 module I bought may be faulty because not only do I have no spark, but there are no tach signals to be found anywhere..

Any help is appreciated, I'm stumped.

dougkehl

Post by dougkehl »

Well today I did a bunch of tests.

I found that my EDIS4 module is in fact getting 12V, the grounding is excellent, I have 12V from the PIP with the key one and a fluctuation of voltage while cranking, the coil pack is getting 12V to the middle pin, the VR sensor is showing proper voltage under cranking and still no spark.

I tried testing my brand new coil pack by applying 12V to the middle/common pin and then grounding the individual trigger pins and I was unable to get any sort of spark out of the spark plug. The spark came out the wire I was intermittently touching to ground.

I also checked the primary and secondary resistance and the primary was 1.1 ohms and the secondary was 13K ohms. The primary seems a little high to me.

I got another new coil pack and did the same test with the same results and same ohm readings on both the primary and secondary.

I'm at a loss. The only thing I've noticed is that my EDIS4 module does not tick at all while cranking.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Doug,

Sorry you're having problems with the install. Let's check a few things.

Think you might've seen this part of the installation guide, where you can verify different system voltages?

http://autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicl ... tion_Steps

One other thing we check is the polarity on the VR sensor - if it's wired backwards you won't see a spark. Also, what's the gap on your 36-1 trigger wheel? Can you post pictures of the trigger wheel setup?

Finally, did you try a different EDIS module? Got a friend nearby with a Megajolt/ EDIS installation that you can test and compare?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter