CoilX and a 4l80e tranny

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Marco

CoilX and a 4l80e tranny

Post by Marco »

Hello from Netherland,
I have been fighting a problem for over 2 years until I found this great place.
So here is a short story, I have this truck with a electronic od transmission that was controlled trough the stock ecm that also controlledthe tbi injection.
I upgraded to a standalone injection system with aftermarket distributor, but the stock ecm needs a clean 5Volt Vref signal to know wat rpm the engine makes to get the lockup to work.
I then put a wire from the negative coil side to the 5Volt vref and that fried my ecm to the death.
I replaced the ecm and now manualy use the lockup with a switch.

So I ran into the CoilX that should do the trick to get me a clean signal, but I have questions to where to put the +5Volt wire, output wire and the negative that goes to the "raceCapturePro" that I obviously do not have.
Here is a wiring diagram of a stock Chevy tbi distributor where you can see the inputs of my ecm:

I hope some of you could help me out, I allready have ordered the CoilX that should do the trick.
Someone told me the B5 conection on the ECM Reference high should need a square 5volt signal, but he was not sure.
Thanks

Marco

Post by Marco »

Anyone ?
I found out that indeed B5 refference high needs a square 5volt signal, but what do I do with the other 2 wire from the coilx ?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

I'm sure you've seen the documentation here on CoilX: http://autosportlabs.net/CoilX

It needs a 5v power supply, so it's designed to work with the 5v vref output of the RaceCapture/Pro.

To use it in your case, you will need a 12v to 5v voltage regulator circuit to power the CoilX. Then it should work for you.

Please keep us updated on what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Marco

Post by Marco »

Hi,
I understand that the CoilX is not designed for my purposes, but I was hoping it does.

I see now what you mean, so it may work.
Does the 5Volt ref signal needs to be exacley 5Volt ?
Becouse the altenator gives me between 12.5-14-5 I can use the output wire for my reference high input of my ecm that needs a max of 5Volt.
But what do I do with the ground wire beside the output wire ?

Thanks for your help, it is much apreciated.
Marco

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

it should be exactly 5v, about 1% tolerance. You can also tie the grounds together, or the coil side close to where you're getting the high voltage signal.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Marco

Post by Marco »

It works !
I am very happy !
thanks