Question: How Many Satellites does the GPS Typically Find?

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

DavidNJ

Question: How Many Satellites does the GPS Typically Find?

Post by DavidNJ »

I expect to convert to RaceCapture this winter. I'm currently using a 10Hz BT GPS receiver. With that receiver it typically shows 8-11 satellites where the smartphone shows 21-23 satellites. }

What is typical for the 50Hz GPS with the RaceCapture?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

8-11 satellites is typical with the GPS receiver we have. However, note that these 8-11 satellites are the ones actually used for position; the cell phone may report more than that, but the signal quality may be too low to be included in positioning.

Note as well, the 50Hz mode requires perfect GPS conditions - line of sight from horizon to horizon, with minimal terrain and obstructions; such as seen on a wide plain or desert terrain.

Thanks for your interest!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

DavidNJ

Post by DavidNJ »

Are you planning a GPS upgrade that also uses GLONASS? My experience is GPS alone frequently has issues with a fairly weak signal from most of the satellites. With GLONASS in addition, the strongest satellites aren't any stronger, but the weaker satellites are a lot stronger.

What are the modes other than 50Hz? What is typically used?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi David,

We're looking at glonass; requires a different GPS chipset as well as a dual band antenna. I'm curious if it will make an improvement in accuracy when used in challenging terrain.

But, it could be tempered by GLONASS being overall lower accuracy as GPS tech. Perhaps the chipsets can still leverage both to have overall better accuracy. We'll see!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter