Where to proceed with limited wiring information

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

zechdz

Where to proceed with limited wiring information

Post by zechdz »

I'm looking to utilise a data logger coupler that is provided on my cbr600rr.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxmmuq7r8g7v3 ... s.pdf?dl=0

All I have to go by is this wiring diagram from a 2007 cbr (which I'm pretty certain is no different from the 2010 model I have).

So I would like to know how to proceed with caution given that firstly, the diagram may not 100% match the bike.

I can't tell if there is any information here that states if the data logger analog outputs are based on 12V as well as if there are any pull up resistors.

From my rusty electrical knowledge I was thinking I should try to use a multimeter on voltage detection to see if the pull up resistor is there or not and to check how high the voltage goes. Any advice? :oops:
vroom

stieg

Post by stieg »

Hey zechdz,
I would like to know how to proceed with caution given that firstly, the diagram may not 100% match the bike.
I would be careful. While you are likely correct that its similar, you are flying blind somewhat. Is there nothing available on Ebay?
I can't tell if there is any information here that states if the data logger analog outputs are based on 12V as well as if there are any pull up resistors.

From my rusty electrical knowledge I was thinking I should try to use a multimeter on voltage detection to see if the pull up resistor is there or not and to check how high the voltage goes. Any advice? Embarassed
Unfortunately this is a pretty common trait among wiring diagrams. You would need something like a circuit diagram to get that sort of info. I would use a multi meter on DC mode to measure a sender terminal with the sender unplugged. By doing this you could find out pretty quickly if it had a pull up resistor on it (since it would just pull up to the high value if detached from the sender).

Are you trying to reverse engineer the voltage ranges and their meanings?
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

zechdz

Post by zechdz »

I was able to buy that same manual for the 2010 model from HRC ($50!). It looks the same :lol:

I'll try the test you mention for checking for pull-ups but looking at this connector I'm pretty certain that there are not any pull-ups because the VFW (wheel speed) sensor that Honda sells for the bike has 12V in and 0-3.48V out, so the sensor is active and drops the voltage before pumping the signal directly to that coupler.

As for the RPM and throttle and others I have to test that myself to see what the output range is I guess. If let's say some 12V signals got through to the input that would be bad news for the data logger right?

I'm trying to look up what a high impedance to an input does in terms of protection but what I gather is that it prevents lots of current from running into the system, but says nothing about there being a 12V signal on an input expecting 4V.... right?

I was going to try to reverse engineer the voltage ranges myself (but if the diagram is right i already know the meanings), because Honda quit making their own data logger some years ago and outsourced it to local bike shops. I highly doubt those bike shops are going to help me, but I might give that a try too.
vroom