Help! Telemetry didn't work last weekend... What happened?

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

KW78

Help! Telemetry didn't work last weekend... What happened?

Post by KW78 »

Hi All,

We just ran the WRL event at cota, the texas turismo gran prix.

I ran the race capture system on sunday, with the GPS and an RPM input for the data. I had a few problems. Sitting in grid, we could see the car running and move, and attempting to watch the data live on a tablet seemed to have large (1 to 2 minutes) delay.

Eventually we found that the "event" captured 49 laps, but in reality we ran 137 laps. Several of the laptimes and consecutive laps made sense, but then some unrealistic laps (like 45 sec instead of 170 sec range) were sprinkled in there.

Also, turns out the fast laps and cluster of laps around that, that happened in the early part of the event are on race capture, and that the 3minute laps while we were slowing down at the finish are also there near the end of the string of the 49.

THE NEXT issue I am having is that I can not pick any of the laps that it did record, and create any graphs. I can get a few track maps, but many short cut major parts of the circuit like the GPS signal was lost, but the Traqmate GPS for example, had no issues.

The event is at https://www.race-capture.com/events/wrl-cota-feb-2016

Race hero info for the event is: http://racehero.io/events/texas-grand-t ... Df054f6880

We are in the winning #178 car.

Some config notes: We ran streaming video as well for the first time. On saturday, t-mobile was horrible. We switched on a pit stop to an AT&T phone used as a hotspot, and that was great - but ran out of data. We used Verizon on sunday, it was fair.

The conclusion being that AT&T had pretty good cell service at COTA. The race capture sim card is AT&T, and a team next to us was using AT&T video streams with no connection issues from an iphone under their windshield.

The tablet we were watching live data on, with delays, was coming thru verizon.

I had the Race capture mk2 unit on the back deck under the top in the miata. I did not install the external cell antennae, but the whip was not low in the tub of the car, but near the top.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Is there a way to diagnose the problem from the data logs that were recorded on race capture site?

Thanks for any help,
Kyle
Kyle
Sector Purple Racing

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi Kyle, sorry to hear telemetry didn't work well for you. At first glance, this looks like a cellular reception issue. RaceCapture/Pro uses a 2.5G cellular connection, and in some areas reception is poor. The data does not look like GPS issues to me.

Did you log data to a SD card? If you did you can review it in the RaceCapture app or upload it to RaceCapture/Live. And if the data looks good in the log files that would guarantee the issue was cellular.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

KW78

Post by KW78 »

Thanks Ryan for the reply.

I did not log the data to an SD card. I thought about it, but I was under the impression that it was either stream telemetry or log to SD Card.

In the app, the option to stream real time telemetry, the next line says "when disabled, telemetry is sync'd with SD logging"

Both can happen simultaneously? That would make sense, I should have tried that.

Is there a connectivity log of some sort? or a signal gauge that can display live?

Kyle
Kyle
Sector Purple Racing

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Yup, you can log to both SD and telemetry at the same time. The message you read means that if you do *not* have background streaming on, realtime telemetry will only be sent when RCP is logging to the SD card.

RCP does report its cellular reception to the app under System Status / Cellular. We don't log it yet, it's on our todo list.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs