Android App Freezing on reconnect

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

ddimensia

Android App Freezing on reconnect

Post by ddimensia »

Was testing out new tablet setup to try and send telemetry via wifi hotspot (no ATT/T-Mobile at most PNW tracks). Since our race series requires full power off during refueling I wanted to verify the app would reconnect to the RCP once it comes back up.

The app appears to connect but then becomes unresponsive. The only way to get it working again is to kill the app and restart. Application version is 1.4.4 on a Nexus 9 w/ Android 6.0.1 and firmware on the RCP Mk2 is 2.8.7. Also just found out that trying to copy the app log causes the app to freeze also.

Obviously not ideal when considering dumping our analog gauges for an RCP dashboard + warning lights/tach.

-Gil

ddimensia

Post by ddimensia »

Trying to think of solutions in the near term, can easily start the app when the tablet detects the charger, after re-powering the car, haven't found anything to kill an app on usb disconnect.

Other thought, when the RCP is connected to both 12v power and USB, where does it pull it's power? Was wondering if connecting it to a USB battery backup would keep the RCP from power cycling when the cars main power is switched off but not drain the battery backup when 12v is available.

-Gil

stieg

Post by stieg »

That is no good. I have filed issue https://github.com/autosportlabs/RaceCa ... issues/920 for ya. Please add your commentary there so we can get this resolved ASAP.
Other thought, when the RCP is connected to both 12v power and USB, where does it pull it's power? Was wondering if connecting it to a USB battery backup would keep the RCP from power cycling when the cars main power is switched off but not drain the battery backup when 12v is available.
This should work. RCP will pull from either source. The only thing that will not work is the internal cellular on RCP as it can't pull enough power over USB to power the internal module.
Andrew Stiegmann (Stieg)
Principal Engineer
Autosport Labs Inc.

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

1.4.4 is our beta version, I would remove yourself from the beta mailing list (or remove the Google account on your tablet that is signed up for the beta) and install the latest official version , which is 1.3.13. See if that fixes the problem. We will try to reproduce it ourselves.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

ddimensia

Post by ddimensia »

Did a little more testing with a first gen Nexus 7 running lollipop (5.1.1) and a Nexus 5x on Marshmallow (6.0.1). The Nexus 7 worked as expected, the 5x has the same behavior as the Nexus 9. Looks like it may be some issue with Kivy on Marshmallow.

For now I'll just mount up the Nexus 7, add some warning LEDs and call it good. I'll add the above info to the issue you created.

-Gil

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Gil, Can you try the 1.5.3 app we just put on Android Beta? let us know how it works. If you see freezing, see what might've coincided with that.

You can sign up for the beta here:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... acecapture

thanks.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter