OBD-II to CAN-bus Cable, Active or Passive?

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

JJLudemann

OBD-II to CAN-bus Cable, Active or Passive?

Post by JJLudemann »

I'm trying to connect my RaceCapture Pro Mk.2 to the ECU on my 2007-2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000-engined race car. There is no OBD-II connector, just an undocumented connector that the Internet has figured out supports the K-line subset of OBD-II. I have the CAN-bus to OBD-II cable from Autosportlabs, but I need to know:

1) Is it just a passive electrical connection from the RJ-11 RaceCapture Pro connector to the CAN-Hi and CAN-Lo ISO 15765-4,

OR

2) Does it have an OBD-II chip in it that supports various OBD-II protocols, in particular the K-line ISO 9141-2.

If it is only a passive connection, I figure I can instead connect the RaceCapture Pro CAN-bus connetor to a CAN-bus to serial adapter in series with a serial to ISO 9141-2 adapter and retain software compatibility, i.e. don't have to write all my own Lua scripts to interrogate the ECU.

Any ideas on if any of this will work? I remember Brent recently saying he's developing ISO 9141-2 support, which implies none of this will currently work. Brent, do you need a beta tester?

Thanks,

-JJ
LudemannEngineering.com

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

The CAN connections on RaceCapture/Pro is simply a CAN bus connection to the OBD-II port, so it will require a CAN enabled OBD-II ECU.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter