track not detected and cant be set manually

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

jeffmcaffer

track not detected and cant be set manually

Post by jeffmcaffer »

I'm at Spokane County Raceway for a race weekend and while the Spokane track is in the list, the RCP does not autodetect the track. So I turned off auto detect and selected the track manually. Still does not seem to work. It is a little unclear that the track is selected (I checked the box beside the track but there is no other indication that that is the track being used).

I also noticed that with the auto detection off, the app still has "Searching for track" across the top.

BTW, is the track in the database the new track layout or the old layout? Hard to tell from the picture.

This is my first outing with the RCP setup so may be missing some key UI metaphor...

Jeff
Pro3 #24

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi Jeff, be sure to verify you have added the track to RaceCapture's configuration, you would select them in the Configuration screen, then save the configuration to RaceCapture.

Here's more information: https://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCaptu ... ace_tracks

If that doesn't work, verify your GPS is working under the System Status screen, available in the menu list.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

jeffmcaffer

Post by jeffmcaffer »

Thanks Ryan. GPS does seem to be working. I think I've done this but the UI is a bit confusing. Do I need to configure the RCP for the map(s) or the App? Since autodetection was not working, I was clicking the Race Tracks entry from the main menu. That allowed me to find Spokane and "select" it but its unclear what that would do. I'm sure that in the many iterations of setting this up I selected Spokane there and then wrote the config to the device. Though, since the Race Track settings are not on the Configuration page in the UI, it is unclear if those settings are actually "configuration" settings that get written to the device. Can you clarify?

A related question., if automatic detection is turned off, how do I manually select a track? Is that the Race Tracks menu entry? I've been doing that but it does not seem to be working.

I have now followed the instructions in from the wiki and have added a mess of maps to the configuration (all the tracks I normally go to). Will try this tomorrow when I am back at the track. Even if this works it would be good to understand what the Race Tracks function is supposed to do and how to manually select maps.

Jeff
Pro3 #24

jeffmcaffer

Post by jeffmcaffer »

Also, I did about 2 hours on the track today with logging on but apparently no track selected. When I load the log file into the Analysis function it does not show any laps. Even if I select Spokane raceway in the upper part of the UI before or after doing the import. Is there some way to hack the data to know it is from Spokane?

Jeff
Pro3 #24

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi Jeff,

Seems like you were looking at the Tracks screen for the app (this is just for managing the tracks saved to the tablet/computer, not RCP), not the track configuration in the Configuration for RaceCapture. You need to add your tracks to the RaceCapture configuration like so: https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... ace_tracks

We are planning on removing the top level Tracks screen to reduce confusion about this.

If you remove automatic detection, you need to set a start/finish point manually: https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... figuration

For data that was logged and RaceCapture did not detect the track (which means no laptimes were recorded), we are working on a way to reprocess the data.

Hope that helps!
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

jeffmcaffer

Post by jeffmcaffer »

Thanks Ryan. Yes it is confusing to have a very attractive Race Tracks button that does not allow you to set the track you are at.

For manual selection, is there an option to pick a map? For example, at Portland there are multiple course layouts (with and without Chicane). I see the database only has one layout (Chicane). Ideally the database would have both and then the user will have to select. either autodetect as a "disambiguation" workflow or the user simply scrolls through a list of maps and picks. That is what I thought the top level Tracks button would do for me.

Related, the Spokane map has the start/finish at the wrong place. What is the process for updating that?

Jeff
Pro3 #24

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi Jeff, currently we don't have a method of selecting *the* track map for RCP to use. The only way to force it to use a particular track start/finish point would be to save just that 1 track config to RCP's configuration. You still need to be within 2 kilometers of the track for RCP to use it though. (For auto-detect it only uses nearby track start/finish points)

Or you can set the start/finish manually by entering a latitude/longitude. Turn off auto-detection and you can enter it manually or press the target icon to use the current GPS coordinates as the start/finish point.

For Spokane can you provide us with the exact start/finish point? I can update it in our database. For submitting new tracks (or submitting updates) you can email us at [email protected]
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

The multiple track configurations problem is an issue for me as well when running at Utah Motorsports Campus (AKA, Miller Motorsports Park). There are four different configurations, with three of them sharing the same start/finish line, and the fourth having it's own. Additionally, if one were to add sector points to the configurations, you would need some way to tell the system which track you are on for that to work as well.

It's a bit of a moot point at the moment, as only one of the configurations is present in the data base, but it is on my to-do list to create and submit the maps for the all of them. However, it doesn't do much good if there is no way to select one from the list, or for the system to auto detect based on the first lap or something like that. Can this be included in a future update?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

We have a couple of plans that will help disambiguate track configurations, starting with help from the app (when connected to RCP).

1) if the app is working in unison with RCP, it will work to detect a scenario where multiple configurations are in the same area, and prompt the user as to which one they're actually racing at. It will work to be smart enough to remember this selection and not continuously re-prompt the user for the duration of the event.

2) If RCP is running headless, with it's on-board track detection, it will need to be configured with *just* the one track in the area. We have an idea on how to disambiguate multiple tracks by waiting until the nearest start/finish line is crossed before determining which track we're *really* at. This will take quite a bit of testing to do.

3) Failing detecting the track, or a complete mis configuration, post lap re-calculation will be added to the analysis tools.

Hope this helps understand where we're going with this!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Alex W

Post by Alex W »

This may be pretty hard to implement, but would it be possible to compare the GPS data collected on the first lap to the list of "local" tracks that has already been narrowed down by the general location? Comparing just the start/finish won't necessarily do it, as in some cases one start line is shared by multiple configurations.

To make the situation even more complex, there is the occasional event that runs multiple configurations in a single day, so short of manually changing the setup, the system would need to correctly determine which track you are on based on the first lap of each session. A rare situation I am sure, but one that would be pretty cool if implemented correctly.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yup, using literal image comparison between a known track map and the drawn GPS path could narrow it down even more.

It seems that using the app to ask the user to disambiguate the track or select another configuration has the best ROI from all of the different approaches we've looked at.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter