Logging Help

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Dirty Deeds

Logging Help

Post by Dirty Deeds »

Hi Guys - I'm new to the data logging so be gentle.
We now have the Recapture pro set up on a naturally aspirated 400 Chevy Race boat & ran in a comp the weekend just gone. At present all the sensors (RPM, coolant temp, air temp, O2 & oil temp) are working great, showing up on the Tablet App & via usb on a laptop . My issue is I can't log?

We're using a freshly formatted 32G SD card (tried several), currently I have the data logger set up to auto log using Rpm using :

function onTick()
if getTimerRpm() > 500 then
startLogging()
else
stopLogging()
end
end

I have also inputed manual start & finish GPS coordinates for our track .

On the weekend after our first few laps I went to try & analyse the logged data to find no files had been recorded.
OK so I figured my auto-log Lua Script didn't work so I tried to start logging using the manual button - when the button was pressed the LED flashes - it says data is being logged but no 'sessions come up in the Analysis section on the app.

My questions are:
any ideas why it won't log when the manual button is pressed?

Any help would be great - cheers!
Attachments
IMG_2479.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg (45.21 KiB) Viewed 8390 times
Get in, Hold on , Shut up & pass me my Beer!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - thanks for checking in - would love to see pics of the boat!

So, when you press the button, does it then produce a log file on your SD card?

If it does, then you can diagnose the reason behind the Lua Script not activating the logging.

Let us know what you find out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Dirty Deeds

Post by Dirty Deeds »

Hi Brent,
I've actually just changed the Lua Script to auto log using the RPM instead of GPS speed (posted the script in the script section if u want too check it) I'll be testing this when I get the engine back together in a few days. But I have tried logging with the button (without the engine running) - it does say it's logging in the status section but when I finish there are no log files recorded. - I'll continue testing & report back &#128077;

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi, if logging still doesn't work, can you copy and paste the output of the log in the scripting view? Open the scripting config, then check 'Poll log' and you can copy/paste the output.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/AtWaQgB.png

Thanks!
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

Dirty Deeds

Post by Dirty Deeds »

Hi Guys - I now have the auto logging working using the RPM. Using the Lua Script:

function onTick()
if getTimerRpm(0) > 1000 then
startLogging()
else
stopLogging()
end
end

the log light flashes constantly while logging & the logger status on the app shows that logging is activated.

My next question is - where do the logged files go?

When I check the 'Analysis' tab it only says ''no sessions'.
or does the logger only produce a file when I go through start & stop GPS coodrinates I have entered manually?

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Files are logged to the SD card, you can import them into the app via the '+' button on the right when you click on 'laps'.

http://i.imgur.com/UElVcE6.png
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

Dirty Deeds

Post by Dirty Deeds »

Thanks Ryan,
that pic looks like its in the analysis tab of the app. At the moment after logging my analysis section only shows 'no sessions'. Does the app only show 'laps' after I have passed through GPS coordinates manually set for the start & finish lines?
(its hard for us to test this as we can only run on the track during designated race days & the boat can't be run on local waterways due to registration & noise restrictions)
Attachments
IMG_0781.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG (64.44 KiB) Viewed 8311 times

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Did you import log files from the SD card? Looks like you haven't imported anything, I see "No Sessions" listed.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

Dirty Deeds

Post by Dirty Deeds »

Hey Ryan,
Can I import via Bluetooth or usb cable to laptop or do I have to physically remove the micro sd card & import direct from that using a card reader?
Last edited by Dirty Deeds on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Currently you have to remove the SD card to access the log files. We have ideas for how to access files over USB and BT, but nothing definite.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

Dirty Deeds

Post by Dirty Deeds »

No Probs,
So I've managed to download some of the log files (shown in the pics) but they won't open. Do I need to log while doing laps - using the start & finish gps coordinates I have entered manually, & then view the files?

Sorry for the 100 questions but its hard for us to test this as we can only run the boat on race days due to rego & noise restrictions in our local waterways.
Attachments
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG (20.97 KiB) Viewed 8224 times
Last edited by Dirty Deeds on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dirty Deeds

Post by Dirty Deeds »

another pic
Attachments
IMG_0826.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG (25.26 KiB) Viewed 8222 times

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Yes, right now in order to view the logged data you need laps. The data is still logged, the app doesn't have a method to view the data by time instead of by lap. Luckily we have a release that should be out today or tomorrow that adds this functionality.

Right now you can open the file up in Excel or Numbers, it's just plain CSV, so you can view the data that way.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

Dirty Deeds

Post by Dirty Deeds »

Ok Awesome - handy to know. I saw the Analysis Improvements come through on the new update - I'll update & give this a go - cheers.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Try the latest 1.6.0 app; you'll be able to view data over time or distance, and not be constrained by laps. However, later we'll be adding the ability to re-compute laps in a data set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi9nA2N87RY
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter