Having an issue with scaling sensors

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

cooper2006

Having an issue with scaling sensors

Post by cooper2006 »

I am having some issues with scaling some sensors. The issue is on channels 2 and 3. They do not seem to be reading the incoming voltage signal correctly. I am measuring the return voltage using a voltage meter at the plug and getting the expected 0 to 5 volt return when stroking the sensor (linear pots); however, the system is only reading values from around 0.5 volt to 3 volts when they should be 0 to 5. I used the direct 0 to 5 scaling option to view the return voltage on the dashboard to see what the system thinks is getting returned. I replicated this process on all other channels using the same sensor and wiring setup while only moving the input wires to different channels and all other channels work correctly. Is this something that I will need to send the unit back in to be repaired? Could this possibly be a bad plug? I frequently remove and reinstall the box since the class we race in does not allow data acquisition during feature race events. We only use it during hot laps and other designated testing sessions. If I have to send it in, what is the process for doing this?

cooper2006

Post by cooper2006 »

Hello. Anybody here? If I can't get any support for this on the forums, can someone private message me a direct phone number I can call.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

If you jumper the 5v reference directly to the input port in question of your RCP, do you read 5v?

Also, is this MK1 or MK2?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

cooper2006

Post by cooper2006 »

Hi. I apologize for not responding earlier. It has been a very busy season and this has kind of been put on the back burner until things slowed down. This is the MK2. I set each channel up for 0-5v in the calibration screen. I did a direct jumper from the reference voltage on all of the channels. They all read reference (4.96v) on the RaceCapture dashboard except for channels 2 and 3. Channels 2 & 3 read 3.6. They also both change at the same time when I apply reference voltage to either one.

Also check out our website. I would be happy to offer some free advertising to Autosport Labs to support the open source model. I think what you are doing here is great!

www.bartlettmotorsportengineering.com

The web site isn't 100% complete yet, but we are adding to it daily.

Joe

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, If you're certain you're measuring the raw voltage (configuration for those channels set to 'raw') and that nothing else is connected to those inputs, we may want to check out the unit. I've sent you an email.

Also, it's possible the internal calibration is off. If you know how to use a serial termial program like hyperTerminal or similar, you can issue the 'resetConfig' command to reset the unit to factory settings. Be sure to first save your current config to your local computer, of course.

Then you can see if the calibration is different after a factory reset.

Thanks, we'll get this sorted for you asap.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter