Gyro Settings for Solostorm - RCP MK3

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

kijones

Gyro Settings for Solostorm - RCP MK3

Post by kijones »

Can someone give me the x/y/z settings thst work with solostorm? How are the axis mapped and are any inverted?

My rcpmk3 is mounted square in the chassis with the plug facing the front of the car as the install guide suggests.

I cant get them mapped so that solostorm gyro overlay displays properly.

Thanks!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, please contact SoloStorm support for help on that product. They should be able to help you quickly. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

kijones

Post by kijones »

brentp wrote:Hi, please contact SoloStorm support for help on that product. They should be able to help you quickly. Thanks!
Thanks Bernt, will do. Do you have a diagram of for the MK3 of what axis are in relation to the box. I found one in the Mk2 setup but i could not find one for the Mk3.

Thanks!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Here are the gyro definitions - they follow the conventional meaning of the word:

Yaw: car rotation (understeer / oversteer);
Pitch: front to rear axis rotation (braking pitch down / acceleration pitch up)
Roll: Rolling rotation side to side in corners.

If you have RaceCapture on the desk you can pick it up to simulate the effect.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

For X, Y and Z axis labeling, the normal format I've seen is that the Z axis is roll and longitudinal acceleration, The X axis is pitch and lateral acceleration and the Y or vertical axis is yaw and vertical acceleration. When stationary, it's easy to determine the vertical axis, it will show 1g acceleration from gravity.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We conform to SAE standard definition, where Y is lateral acceleration, X is formward / backward and Z is vertical.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I would give odds that SoloStorm doesn't conform to SAE. The reason being that the accelerometer and gyro Z axis of smartphones and tablets is perpendicular to the face of the tablet. The Z axis becomes the longitudinal axis when the device camera is pointed in the direction of travel.

I might also give odds that SoloStorm doesn't use the gyro and accelerometer in the RCP. I know that Harry's Laptimer doesn't. It's a bandwidth issue.