OBD & wifi erratic

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

cwilson

OBD & wifi erratic

Post by cwilson »

I have Racecapture. When using the RC WIFI my obd signal seems erratic and not realtime. It seems to sample and report every few minutes. i have a subaru 2013 BRZ. Any suggestions?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi cwilson, I replied on this same topic in the other thread. There's a trial firmware version in that thread conversation for you to test that may address your issue. Please reply back there. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

cwilson

Connecting to wi fi & unable to get firmware fix

Post by cwilson »

I previously reported erratic obd operations via wi fi using my Android with RC app installed. Per your suggestion I tried to get the firmware fix suggested but now I can't seem to get RC to work with any wifi that I have. Mostly I use a Comcast cable provided router wi fi . I have also used a hot spot created with my I phone6 but nothing seems to work. The RC app will not recognize or connect to either of these wi fi's? Out of ideas at this point.

The hot spot on my I phone 6 requires a pass word to enter, but the RC app request an SSID under the Client mode of wi fi. Unfortuanely, I have no idea where to get that?

Any help appreciated.

cwilson
Lees Summit, MO

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi cwilson,

We have the official 2.10.2 firmware available here: podium.live/software - make sure you have that latest version before proceeding.

Can you attach a screenshot of your WiFi config under settings? You'll have to access that while connected over USB, naturally. One thing that is required is you need to specify a minimum 8 character password when configuring RC as an access point.

Thanks; will watch for updates
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

cwilson

Post by cwilson »

Yes sounds easy enough to do on my Mac, but I'm trying to get it done on my Samsung Android Tab which seems to run me in circles. I have RC on the device, and I've also downloaded the 2.10 file but can't seem to get them together? Will need to just keep trying to copy or move the downloaded 2.10 file to the RC app.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you're referring to upgrading firmware, it must be done over USB - so, via the Windows or OSX.

If you're trying to connect to RC's access point, and the password was mis-configured, try connecting with no password specified.

Ultimately the fall-back is to re-configure over USB and then you'll be able to get all the settings updated, for certain.

Thanks, let us know what you find out next.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

cwilson

Post by cwilson »

Good idea;, by reconfigure i interpret that to mean uninstall and reinstall the software. We'll see how that goes.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest re-installing software. I meant to suggest re-configuring your WiFi settings via the desktop app. See:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... gured_WiFi

A reminder - when setting RC's access point password, make sure the password is at least 8 characters long.
Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

cwilson

Post by cwilson »

I've managed to connect and download the latest files via my Mac, but I still get no racecapture wi fi on my android devices. I do get my regular wi fi.
I'm giving this up for the present, just too much tail chasing and headache. thanks for the help.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you can't see the RaceCapture WiFi device at all from any device - Android , laptop or otherwise we may need to look at it more deeply to confirm the WiFi device on RC is functioning properly. Let us know when you're ready to take a deeper look at it and we'll be happy to help.

Were you able to connect RC to your mac over USB and use the RaceCapture app there to read the current settings? If so, what were the WiFi settings?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

cwilson

No Racecapture wi fi

Post by cwilson »

Can't get RC wi fi on any of my devices, android or mac. Actually two androids. The MAC showed Race capture 35239383620 in the client mode, but still no active wi fi. When I added a passcode to the client mode then tried to read it would just turn off the client mode and erase the password. Things seem to work when I use my existing wi fi network. That is it reads, configures, etc.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update.

So you're saying, if you configure RC to use your home's current access point, making RC a WiFi client, then you can connect to it via android?

When you enable AP mode, how many characters is the password you're setting?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

cwilson

firmware update

Post by cwilson »

I have downloaded the 2.10 firmware update via Mac and it seems to be working with the RC program.

cwilson

wi fi

Post by cwilson »

No, not really. The Android just says "Ensure your handheld is already connected to the RC WiFi network". It then just shows "Waiting for connection", but never connects. One Android Setting just shows" RC Out of Range", the 2nd one doesn't show anything.

I've used 8 or more characters as passwords. Actually, I thought RC didn't require any password, but I've used one anyway.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Ok, thanks.

More questions :)

* When RC has power (via USB or 12v) do you see a blue blinking light on the unit? That indicates that it's sending out a WiFi beacon.

When you go into Android settings (not the RC app) and search for what WiFi networks are nearby, do you see any thing that looks like a RaceCapture device?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter