Convert log files to CSV or ASCII

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

wizrd54

Convert log files to CSV or ASCII

Post by wizrd54 »

Is there an easy way to convert the log files to CSV or ASCII format? I was able to do it by hand or with a script, but replacing all the blank cells in excel with a value still takes a long time. Does racecapture only export the sparse log files?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The log files are in a sparse CSV format, correct. This was done to reduce the amount of data needing to be written to the SD card, so maximum logging performance could be achieved.

The export function in the app emulates the sparseness of the RaceCapture/Pro CSV log file for consistency reasons.

It would be pretty straightforward to write a script that creates a fully populated log file.

Are you running into a problem using the sparsely populated file with another program?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

JMcDonough

Post by JMcDonough »

I think you're asking about a script that's already be written :) :

viewtopic.php?t=3731&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

The rccsv2gems script converts the .log to a csv with all of the cells populated.
Josh

wizrd54

Post by wizrd54 »

brentp wrote: Are you running into a problem using the sparsely populated file with another program?
Correct. Most of the analysis programs I use need a data point for each channel at each timestamp. I'm using WinDarab from Bosch Motorsports.

I'll try the rccsv2gems script mentioned above.