987.1 Can Bus Mapping

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

If we can get a RaceCapture configuration that has good and known settings, we would be happy to load it as a preset along with the other presets we have. Just reply here when you have something working!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

brentp wrote:Hi,

If we can get a RaceCapture configuration that has good and known settings, we would be happy to load it as a preset along with the other presets we have. Just reply here when you have something working!
I'll pull my config and upload it tomorrow.
VPD wrote:Boggie are you still working on this? Somehow I never discovered RaceCapture until recently, but over the last year I've been off and on sniffing CAN bus channels manually on my 2007 987.1, preparing to make an Arduino CAN solution that would output OBD protocol, but now I'm going to go the RaceCapture/Track MK2 route I think.

It's hard to find good info on Porsches so here is what I've figured out in general (aside from specific CAN channels).

The CAN bus is actually wired to the OBD2 port, but it is not active in the normal sense because a gateway controls their output, and even when active they don't follow a standard CAN protocol. The secret handshake and protocol is what Durametric figures out, and why the data over Durametric is way faster, because it's using the CAN bus and not the K line that OBD2 uses.

There are 3 separate CAN buses on the car, and not all of them have the same data. The gateway collects all 3 and makes everything available on the OBD2 port CAN wires if you know the protocol. Assuming none of us do (if we did Brent, could RaceCapture accommodate it?) we have to make physical connections to all 3. I've sniffed 2 buses so far, and if you only tap the commonly referenced ECU bus (like AIM says to do), you miss additional channels...like brake pressure (whereas only brake on/off is on the ECU bus).

From what I read RC/T can handle 2 CAN buses, so if we don't use the OBD connection, we can tap both the ECU and Komfort CAN buses and get most (if not all) channels any track rat wants.

I've not yet mapped or figured out the scaling for the channels I've identified, but I was hoping we could trade notes. Earlier in the thread Brent hinted at including these in the presets, but has that been done for some Porsche models? I downloaded the app but without RC hardware yet I can't see a list.

Long ago I installed a full electric sweep oil pressure gauge in the car and want to feed the 0-5V signal into RC/T, Boggie did you ever try this? It looks possible using the AnalogX board, but it isn't clear to me if that would take up 1 of the 2 CAN inputs, or if it can be injected into one of the CAN bus streams so I can tap 2 buses.
Sorry I just saw this. I have brake, steering, throttle, rpm, and coolant. I installed a sender for oil pressure and wired it to my race capture pro. The pro has built in support for a certain number of analog senders.

My brake pressure seems slow to respond and I'm not sure if it is because of what you suggested above, that it is on a different bus. However the data I have seems correct, just slow.

As for analogx, it would take one bus. Theoretically you could connect two busses I think, just know that the Analogx data will make it to all devices on that bus. It may or may not cause issues.

You could also try to use a obd splitter and sniff the handshake from the durametric to the ecu.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Cool! If you have an nice shot of your car - upload that too and we'll include it as part of the preset, as seen here:

https://i.imgur.com/SFP2ZVm.gif
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

Here is the config n photo. I zipped it because the forum won't let me post a .rcp file.
Attachments
987.zip
Config n Photo
(95.83 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks! To the best of your knowledge, what models / years does this cover?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

My guess would be 06-08 Caymans or Boxsters.

I know the 09+ have a different engine so I don't think it crosses over. Which seems to be the case based on this: viewtopic.php?t=5616

Anything pre 987 aka the 986 I don't think has can bus.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

All right! Preset now available, and announced here:
https://www.facebook.com/AutosportLabs/ ... 31/?type=3

Thank you for the contribution - please share with your Porsche friends :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks. I updated the description of the preset. to reflect year / model.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

VPD

Post by VPD »

I agree with Boggie it will apply to all 06-08 Caymans and Boxsters (987.1) and I'm pretty confident it will apply to multiple 911 variants of the same era from 04-11, as well as the base model (not S & R) of Caymans and Boxsters from 09-12 because they all use the Bosch ECU.

The OBD and CAN protocol employed by tons of cars was published by AiM and tends to agree (and is really helpful!)

http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/d ... ng_117.pdf

I know not all channels will be populated with data (like no oil pressure on 987.1 Caymans) for each car, but I think the channel ID's will be the same.

VPD

Post by VPD »

boggie1688 wrote:
Sorry I just saw this. I have brake, steering, throttle, rpm, and coolant. I installed a sender for oil pressure and wired it to my race capture pro. The pro has built in support for a certain number of analog senders.
1) You didn't list oil temp, if you didn't find it I have the channel ID but haven't scaled it yet. I'm 100% sure it's the correct channel if you want it.

2) For oil pressure, did you swap your 987 sender for the 996/997 version that does have oil pressure and run those wires to the RC/P? If so, is it 0-5V signal? I've also been snooping around and found an interesting alternative to try...
My brake pressure seems slow to respond and I'm not sure if it is because of what you suggested above, that it is on a different bus. However the data I have seems correct, just slow.
Hm, let me check my notes again. It's been a few months but I was pretty sure it doesn't exist on the Drive bus, only on/off like for the brake light. Maybe I got that backwards and it's on the Drive bus but not the Display bus. Which one did you tap?
As for analogx, it would take one bus. Theoretically you could connect two busses I think, just know that the Analogx data will make it to all devices on that bus. It may or may not cause issues.
I got some info from Brent confirming what you are suggesting, and same for ShiftX2. If there are no ID or priority conflicts it should be possible to tap 2 CAN buses on the car, and use splitters to integrate both AnalogX and ShiftX2 on those CAN lines.
You could also try to use a obd splitter and sniff the handshake from the durametric to the ecu.
I wish I had the skills/tools to do this. I have a OBD splitter and tried it using Durametric and PCAN USB to sniff but nothing is shown. The simple PCAN device and windows app only works with standard CAN protocols like ISO 11898, and I'm 99% sure the actual protocol being used by Porsche on the OBD CAN wires is some proprietary thing, and that's even after you figure out the secret handshake to get the CAN gateway to transmit. I don't have a general tool that will display all traffic regardless of format. Porsche is very protective of data.[/quote]
Last edited by VPD on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

Sorry yes oil temp is there. It has been ages since I worked on this. I think Brent made my configuration available. You should be able to just load it an go. Otherwise download the zip and use the config there.

For the pressure I just added a sender to the motor. I found one on Amazon and just wired it up. There is a galley port on the driver side of the motor towards the rear of the car. It's a real pain in the ass look get in.

Brake is definitely there it responds to the brake pedal and I actually think it's pressure. It doesn't scale according to travel, but how hard you step on it. It's just slooooooow. It looks like you ate left foot braking in the logs.

VPD

Post by VPD »

Yeah I did the same about 5 years ago for the oil pressure sender, it is a pain. I installed mine with a right angle fitting to make it slightly easier. I wired up a Spek full sweep electric gauge in the sport chrono pod and it looks 100% factory. That chrono clock is worthless anyway. That satisfied me for a while, now I'm looking to log it.

I checked my notes:
Drive bus is the one with brake pressure at channel 44Bh at a rate of 100Hz so not sure why yours is slow. Once I get hardware I can try your config and see if mine is slow too through RC. It is very fast as raw CAN data over PCAN View. Brake on/off on Display is 110h at 10Hz.

I also found steer angle on Drive bus at 0C2h at 100Hz, but also found it on Display bus at 370h which as of now appears to have more angular resolution and a second byte toggles between 80 and 00 indicating L or R.

Last one for the night. Throttle pedal/plate (which one) isn't clear yet and appears on both buses. On Display it's 370h at 5Hz and might be pedal, whereas it's 246h at 100Hz on Drive and I suspect must be plate angle. Wouldn't matter much except with electronic throttle the pedal and throttle angles have a variable relationship.
Last edited by VPD on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

You make a YouTube video on it? Think I watched that one! 😀 Keep me looped in. I'm curious to see what you find

VPD

Post by VPD »

boggie1688 wrote:You make a YouTube video on it? Think I watched that one! 😀
It's been too long but I don't recall posting a YouTube video. I did however post info and pictures on other forums about my install. I used the Spek gauge because it's highly customizable for an analog gauge, like set low and high warnings, and recall them afterwards. Also has an output line you set to trigger an event, like an Accusump, based on low pressure.

By the way, where did you end up mounting your RC Pro?

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

Under the driver's seat. Not ideal but it works. The foam is pretty thick between the floor pan and the carpet. I just punched two holes and used a long bolt. The foam compresses but it is tight enough to not move.