Dashboard Edit Mode

Found a bug or got a feature request? Post it here.
tfriest

Dashboard Edit Mode

Post by tfriest »

I run RC on an older cell phone (HTC Evo 4G LTE) that is 5x3 inches (so smaller than the bigger phones).
I have a formula car and mount the phone on the steering wheel, so I couldn't use a tablet even if I wanted to.

The UI for the dashboard has several issues that make it hard to use in the car, but the main one is that some of the buttons are so small and on the corners it is hard to hit them and the app keeps popping up edit/preference things when I try to get the menu with exit on it (the quit button is to small and on the bottom so it is hard to hit too).

Please make a setting where you can toggle whether you want to edit the dash or not. If that toggle is not enabled, it shouldn't put the menus up when you hit the screen over a gauge, and it shouldn't pop up the preferences screen asking whatever that asks when I'm trying to hit the tiny little menu button in the upper left to get the quit option.

If you put a (larger) quit button on the screen that you get to when you go "back" and can choose dash/analysis/setup, that'd help also.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. So the way I interpret your request is that you want to prevent accidental pop-up of of the dashboard customization screens?

I can see how this could be a good idea.

We could:

* have a lock-out option
* prevent it from happening if speed > threshold (e.g. the car is moving)
* require a 'long press' to prevent accidental selections

Aside from selecting the quit option, Which of the buttons are you trying to use in the normal course of operation? switching screens?

Are you able to swipe left or right to select screens on top of using the arrow buttons?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

tfriest

Post by tfriest »

I would prefer a lock-out option.

I was having problems trying to set the dash on the grid before the race (it wasn't auto-detecting the track, and I was getting the popup trying to get to the option to manually search/set track).

Also, after the race, I was trying to quit the app before switching the car off, but pressing the menu icon in the upper left would popup the preferences options more often than giving me the left side menu to quit (and then it didn't seem to recognize I was hitting quit because that was small on the lower left?)...

The app hangs if I switch the car off (since that switches the RCP off too), so I was trying to quit it before turning off the engine (and I didn't want to have the car running longer than it needed to after the race)...

So, just having a lock-out when the car is moving wouldn't be enough, and long presses wouldn't work either since it wasn't detecting that I was hitting the menu button instead of just pressing somewhere else in the screen.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter