Auto-logging to SD. Analysis require pulling the SD card?

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

WhatsADSM

Auto-logging to SD. Analysis require pulling the SD card?

Post by WhatsADSM »

I think I am just missing something here since I am new to RCP.

I have it all setup and working just fine wrote a little script to enable logging and sequential shift lights. All works as it should.
However when it logs to SD it seems I have to physically pull the card out of the RCP then insert into the tablet and then import in the analysis screen. I can't seem to find out how to simply pull the log(s) from the SD card over Bluetooth. Where do I go to simply start analyzing a new log recorded to SD?

Thanks!

TXBDan

Post by TXBDan »

My understanding is that data isn't pulled over bluetooth. I think there are two separate logs happening.

1. Logging to SDcard in the RCP. This is initiated by the Action button or a LUA script. You can only view these logs by pulling the SD card and reading from a computer or in a tablet with RaceCapture and importing like you're doing.

2. Logging to the tablet/phone is also happening whenever logging is enabled via Action button or LUA script AND you're in dashboard view. (And you have it enabled in Preferences in RaceCaputre on the tablet). These are the logs that you see if you open a saved session in Analysis mode on a tablet.

This is very confusing and is hanging a lot of people up. I'm struggling to get consistnet logging working, but i think what i said is true.

TXBDan

Post by TXBDan »

Actually, for Case 2, it seems for me that it logs to the tablet whenever the dashboard is displayed. I'm not sure if that's expected behavior or not. It seems you should be able to control when that happens so you don't fill the tablet up on a road trip for example.

WhatsADSM

Post by WhatsADSM »

TXBDan wrote:My understanding is that data isn't pulled over bluetooth. I think there are two separate logs happening.

1. Logging to SDcard in the RCP. This is initiated by the Action button or a LUA script. You can only view these logs by pulling the SD card and reading from a computer or in a tablet with RaceCapture and importing like you're doing.

2. Logging to the tablet/phone is also happening whenever logging is enabled via Action button or LUA script AND you're in dashboard view. (And you have it enabled in Preferences in RaceCaputre on the tablet). These are the logs that you see if you open a saved session in Analysis mode on a tablet.

This is very confusing and is hanging a lot of people up. I'm struggling to get consistnet logging working, but i think what i said is true.
Yea what you are saying pretty much seems to be the case. That it either streams directly from RCP to a file on the tablet... which assumes you have the tablet open and connected.

Otherwise it logs to the SD card. However the app can't at that point stream the data from the SD to a file on the tablet.

Its honestly pretty shocking to me because my use case seems like a very "first class" use case (i.e. one that should be highly supported).

I helped put one of these systems in a Spec Miata. Basically I was assuming that he could simply start the car go race it, and then come back and pull all the data wirelessly. It has all the hardware it needs to do that, but I guess its not possible. At least there is a work around in the mean time (which is to physically pull the SD card out of the RCP and put it into the tablet then go import the data after every race). Having to remember to turn on the tablet and then find a place for it while you race is NOT a reasonable workaround in my opinion for a competitive race car IMO.
TXBDan wrote: Actually, for Case 2, it seems for me that it logs to the tablet whenever the dashboard is displayed. I'm not sure if that's expected behavior or not. It seems you should be able to control when that happens so you don't fill the tablet up on a road trip for example.
Yea any time the tablet is connected with the dashboard displayed it will automatically start a log. It is a little weird, but is expected behavior.