Problem with Automatic Track Detection

Found a bug or got a feature request? Post it here.
dimondjack

Problem with Automatic Track Detection

Post by dimondjack »

I seem to be having intermittent trouble with the auto track detection not triggering my laps. I previously had intermittent troubles with automatic track detection where it simply didn't work but about a year ago it seemed to get a lot better and be fixed. My recent issue was at Watkins Glen where the app worked flawlessly for the practice day, then for the first stint of race day, and then somehow got lost for the second stint, and then worked fine for stints 3-4!

Of course, I happened to be driving for the stint it didn't work. I tried resetting the racecapture unit (did a complete car power cycle) three times and it made no difference.

This also happened earlier this year at Palmer during a track day, but I wrote that off as an anomaly at the time.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Reliably triggering a lap and getting an accurate lap time and predictive times requires a solid GPS lock.

We have a guide here on how to ensure you get the proper GPS performance out of your system:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture_GPS

Is it a dedicated race car? Do you have any other broadcasting radios in the car?

I checked those venues and it seems we have accurate start/finish points set for both of those tracks.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dimondjack

Post by dimondjack »

This is a dedicated racecar (chump).

Our GPS had between 9-11 satellites, a quality of 2, and DOP oscillating between 0.1 and 0.9.

We were running our radio around 462 MHz, and the antennas were set up exactly as in the picture. The weird part is that telemetry knew I was at Watkins Glen and showed the car at the correct place on track, it just wouldn't trigger a lap time.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Try this; in your driveway, fire up RCP until you have a solid GPS lock. While watching the RCP dashboard (green screen with all channels) observe the following:

* GPSDOP (GPS dilution of precision, smaller number is better)
* Speed
* GPSQual (GPS quality (3 is best, 2 is acceptable)
* Satellites (8-13 is good)

While watching those channels, key the mic on your car's radio, causing the radio to transmit.

Do you see any of those GPS channels fluctuate while transmitting?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter