MK3 displaying red light on front

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

pstorms

MK3 displaying red light on front

Post by pstorms »

Hello,

I have had my RCP MK3 for a couple months. In preparations for the upcoming race things have been progressing well. After letting the system sit for a couple weeks, I brought it to the bench to do some final testing on the shift light when the system went to non-responsive.

I have tried three different computers to connect via the USB, but each Race Capture App keeps trying to connect. And always in Connecting state and never connected. This just happened after I changed the Bluetooth Name and Pair key. Not sure if it is related or not.

On the front the following lights are displayed. Solid Green on Power, Solid Red on Warning, Solid Green on GPS and solid yellow on SD card. These remain on all the time. I never get a laptop, tablet or smartphone to connect for any length of time via Bluetooth. All go from connected to connecting or non-connected. Whether it is via USB or Bluetooth. Nothing connects.

When I power off and press the action button, the SD Card light then flashes upon power on. As well as the Power Green Light, and that is all. All the rest are off. Not the red light to indicate bootloader as expected.

The following are from the application log:
[Kivy ] v1.9.1-dev0
[Logger ] Record log in /Applications/RaceCapture.app/Contents/Resources/.kivy/logs/kivy_17-07-13_1.txt
[Python ] v2.7.10 (default, Feb 7 2017, 00:08:15)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.34)]
[Factory ] 179 symbols loaded
[Image ] Providers: img_tex, img_imageio, img_dds, img_gif, img_sdl2 (img_pil, img_ffpyplayer ignored)
[OSC ] using <multiprocessing> for socket
[Window ] Provider: sdl2
[GL ] OpenGL version <2.1 ATI-1.51.8>
[GL ] OpenGL vendor <ATI Technologies Inc.>
[GL ] OpenGL renderer <AMD Radeon HD 6750M OpenGL Engine>
[GL ] OpenGL parsed version: 2, 1
[GL ] Shading version <1.20>
[GL ] Texture max size <16384>
[GL ] Texture max units <16>
[Window ] auto add sdl2 input provider
[Window ] virtual keyboard not allowed, single mode, not docked
[Clipboard ] Provider: sdl2(['clipboard_nspaste'] ignored)
[Text ] Provider: sdl2
[UserPrefs ] Data Dir is: /Users/pstorms/Library/Application Support/racecapture
[AppConfig ] using user storage directory: /Users/pstorms/Library/Application Support/racecapture
[TelemetryManager] on_telemetry_enabled: True
[TelemetryManager] start() telemetry_enabled: True cell_enabled: False
[TelemetryManager] self._should_connect is false, not connecting
[GL ] NPOT texture support is available
[Base ] Start application main loop
[RacecaptureApp] initializing rc comms with, conn type: Serial
[RCPAPI ] msg_rx_worker starting
[RCPAPI ] cmd_sequence_worker starting
[RCPAPI ] auto_detect_worker starting
[RCPAPI ] trying last known device first: /dev/cu.usbmodemFA131
[Main ] Datastore Path:/Users/pstorms/Library/Application Support/racecapture/datastore.sq3
[Main ] initializing datastore...
[DataStore ] Applying db migrations: []
[DataStore ] db migrations complete
[RaceCaptureApp] Current Tracks Loaded
[RCPAPI ] sendCommand exception caused by 'Port Closed'
[Traceback (most recent call last)]
File "/Users/rdoherty/Documents/projects/RaceCapture_App/install/osx/RaceCapture.app/Contents/Resources/yourapp/autosportlabs/racecapture/api/rcpapi.py", line 432, in sendCommand
File "/Users/rdoherty/Documents/projects/RaceCapture_App/install/osx/RaceCapture.app/Contents/Resources/yourapp/autosportlabs/comms/comms.py", line 173, in write_message
PortNotOpenException: caused by 'Port Closed'

[RCPAPI ] sendCommand exception caused by 'Port Closed'
[Traceback (most recent call last)]
File "/Users/rdoherty/Documents/projects/RaceCapture_App/install/osx/RaceCapture.app/Contents/Resources/yourapp/autosportlabs/racecapture/api/rcpapi.py", line 432, in sendCommand
File "/Users/rdoherty/Documents/projects/RaceCapture_App/install/osx/RaceCapture.app/Contents/Resources/yourapp/autosportlabs/comms/comms.py", line 173, in write_message
PortNotOpenException: caused by 'Port Closed'

[Shader ] program: <WARNING: Output of vertex shader 'frag_color' not read by fragment shader>

Is there a way to factory reset? Or reimage? Or recover?

Thank you for the help.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Patrick,

Sorry for the late response.

Do you see that LED activity when you power on via 12v or via USB? Also, did you also update firmware recently?

Worth noting, on MK3 the SD card LED will flash rapidly when in bootloader mode, so what you're observing is correct when you hold in the button.

You can certainly try to flash the latest firmware by first holding in the button and then plugging into USB. When you do it this way, launch the app and go straight to Setup/Firmware and perform the upgrade.

Note however, you may need to do this on a windows computer; some installations of the OS X app have reported issues flashing firmware, we're currently tracking that down.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

No worries Brent.

I have been powering the unit via USB and not via 12V. I did try using the OBDII connector as well to power up. But with no success.

It must be noted that I have powered the unit via USB and OBDII and they both worked fine previously when using those power sources. I haven't moved to permanent installation in the racecar yet. That was to happen this weekend. "Murphy's Law"

I have not tried to update the firmware at all as the latest was already on this box, prior to the issue arising. I have only tried to reimage due to the failure to connect that is currently happening. I thought the firmware got corrupted somehow and thus my request on how to perform this.

I am glad to know I was able to get the unit into bootloader mode. I was very worried it was totally bricked up.

For the current update. I was able to flash with a Windows PC. My MACBook Pro was able to flash it once out of 10 tries. And my older MACBook Pro was unable to after a few tries.

After the reimaging of the firmware, the unit is still exhibiting the same behaviour. Same lights are lit and there is no connecting to the RCP via USB nor Bluetooth.

Any other thoughts on resurrecting this thing?

Robert APH Racing

Post by Robert APH Racing »

Brent -

I'm having the same exact situation. Received unit yesterday, was able to connect and read/write some initial config files connected via USB and connect via bluetooth to a tablet that will be dash in car.

I believe my series of events are that I upgraded the firmware - just to make sure I was on the latest - and then started seeing this issue.

the process above did not work. The RCP will enter bootloader mode as described (flashing orange SD Card LED, steady Green Power LED) but when opening the RaceCapture App, proceeding to Setup, Firmware, after selecting the file from my desktop i get a message that says

Error Loading
Failed to Load Firmware
'NoneType' object has no attribute to 'join'

Let me know if that gives you anything.

In the meantime I'll to track down a Windows Computer, but the in this current state the RCP won't connect to my current computer, instead the app says that its searching /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131, or fd121, the the Bluetooth modem. I've tried multiple USB ports.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Robert,

It sounds like it stopped working immediately after you upgraded the firmware the first time? At that time, did the firmware progress go from 0-100%?

If so, can you confirm the exact filename of the firmware package you downloaded?

Also what are you seeing on the front panel for LEDs?

---

Patrick, we are releasing a beta of 2.12.0 firmware today. The side effect of going from 2.11.x to 2.12.x is that it resets the unit to a factory default, which may un-stick your unit.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Robert APH Racing

Same LED experience as the OP when not in Bootloader mode.

!: Solid Red, flashes ever second SD Card: Solid Red, flashes every second
Power: Solid Green GPS: Solid Red, flashes every second

all flashing in unison.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks, Robert. And the other questions, please?

Robert APH Racing

“RaceCapturePro_MK3_2.11.0.ihex”

and yes, the firmware upgrade went from 0-100%

Same experience now on a very old windows computer, but its my only option at the moment. 1.10.2 version of the app won't run on this computer due to a missing file after installation, so i'm using 1.4.2 from a previous installation. Missing file is msvcr100.dll

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks, that helps.

The DLL error can be resolved by installing this file from Microsoft:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235299.aspx

Once you get that sorted, try re-doing the firmware installation from the windows computer.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Robert APH Racing

Gave up on Window, trying to eliminate potential problems.

Moved to work laptop which is a macbook pro.

was able to successfully flash the firmware, but now find myself in the same situation as pstorms.

took about 3 tries to flash it. eventually it was successful, went from 0-100 and stated restarting.

RCP mk3 still exhibits the same LED pattern as described and won't connect in the app.

I'll wait to see if the beta version of the new firmware resolves my issue as well.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Got it. We'll get that uploaded shortly, thanks for your patience!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

Good news Brent. I'll be one of the first to test it out for you. I sure hope it clears up and un-sticks the unit.
brentp wrote:Hi Robert,

It sounds like it stopped working immediately after you upgraded the firmware the first time? At that time, did the firmware progress go from 0-100%?

If so, can you confirm the exact filename of the firmware package you downloaded?

Also what are you seeing on the front panel for LEDs?

---

Patrick, we are releasing a beta of 2.12.0 firmware today. The side effect of going from 2.11.x to 2.12.x is that it resets the unit to a factory default, which may un-stick your unit.

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

YES!!!!!!!!!

The 2.12.0 Beta release fixes the STUCK situation.

Thank you thank you thank you.

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

Just a couple of observations so far. 1. My script was not erased. That is still there, thankfully. 2. It did erase the cellular definitions. Other than that, things look to be back to normal. <BIG SIGH of relief>

Robert APH Racing

2.12.0 unlocked my RCP as well. I'm just in the early bench play phase, but if I observe anything with the beta version i'll get it logged.