RCP3 Difficulty getting in OBD-II/Can data

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Intel

RCP3 Difficulty getting in OBD-II/Can data

Post by Intel »

So I had been working on serial input from innovate gauges but have put that on hold. Now I am trying to simply integrate my system into my Mazda3.

If I use my cable hooked up to my Racecapture/Track I get data coming in easily and have previously used this setup to log hdpe sessions.

I now use that same stock cable to connect to my RCP Pro mk3 and I am not getting any data into the app and the can light has never lit up once. My logs show that Can 0 and 1 connect succesfully but if I utilize the https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CAN_Bus_logger script it just keeps on telling me there is no can data.

I have the most recent versions of the software on my windows laptop and firmware on the unit. I did a hard reset via putty and still nothing.

What am I missing here that would cause me to not receive data?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

When you use the CAN bus logger, it only shows the stream of data coming in - for example, from a direct source of CAN data.

Unless OBDII is turned on and actively querying data, you would not see OBDII data streaming using that logger. You might see out-of-band CAN traffic from the ECU, depending on the manufacturer.

On your RCP3 you'll want to double check the following:

* CAN bus turned 'on'
* set to 500K baud
* termination 'on'
* OBDII turned 'on' and one example channel added (RPM)

That's a good basic way to test if OBDII and CAN bus is working. You could try it on different cars, as well.

Thanks - Let us know what you find out
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Intel

Post by Intel »

I have tried this on both a 2012 Mazda3 and a 2011 Fiesta with the same results.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Can you post your configuration file here as an attachment so we can take a look at it? There might be a hidden setting causing a problem.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Intel

Post by Intel »

which configuration file do you need?

Intel

Post by Intel »

Possibly this one?
Attachments
mazda3conf.txt
(13.58 KiB) Downloaded 322 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, I checked your configuration and it looks sane.

We might need to check out your unit for a possible issue. Can you contact [email protected] and we can take it from there?

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter