Race Capture App - request

Found a bug or got a feature request? Post it here.
BruceT

Race Capture App - request

Post by BruceT »

Been using RC Track and Race Capture App for a while now.

Updated the RC Track firmware and RC App on Tablet and Iphone, but ended up going back previous versions because of multiple issues.

The biggest complaint I have (with RC App) is the lag in response when clicking something (on phone or tablet).

Second issue I have is that the App constantly tries to auto-connect to the RC/Track that I have. I think a "connect" button would be a better solution when I just want to use the App to do some setup or analysis on my tablet or phone (might be there already?).

Thirdly, although I can connect BOTH my Iphone AND Amazon Fire7 tablet to the RC Track WIFI, it becomes a mess because one is updating while the other still connected. One has to connect before the other... IN particular, since it is very difficult to download log files from an Iphone, I use my Fire7 tablet for data logging to SD card (plus larger screen for predictive lap timing), but I use the Iphone to relay data to Podium Live (green cloud icon). You need to set that Iphone WIFI connection to Manual, set the correct IP address, then it thinks the phone has no Internet Connection and uses the cell network to connect to Podium. This setup is flaky and does not work all the time. Was at COTA and it worked only 2 out of 4 sessions. Then last weekend at Chuckwalla, it didn't work so I gave up on Podium. There are issues with lap start/end and count... and not all laps upload.

The ONLY reason I use Podium live is for the nice interface and post-session analysis (Why doesn't IAT value show up on Podium?). I don't have thousands of people watching my progress live during the session:) The App is not quite as nice for analyzing. Also, I'm still not sure how to Stop a session when in Dashboard. There should be an obvious red button to stop data recording, or it should tell you data logging status somewhere (again maybe it is?).

When will we see a "track tutor" style icon or display, possibly for live feedback on a Dashboard screen, but maybe a single value of total %grip used in analysis mode etc...

Here's a youtube video with data overlay of a session at Bondurant when all the technology worked well. I used RaceRender and the template provided by another member that I customized.

https://youtu.be/RznjhpiZHbc
2002 Boxster S

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Bruce,

What version of the app are you using where touch buttons are not responsive? Versions since 2.10 (IIRC) received a significant improvement to touch responsiveness due to an upgrade we applied from the application framework we were using.

Does it happen in specific areas of the app, such as dashboard or Setup?

If the telemetry connection is flaky, you might want to try a common hotspot in the car with a $0/month FreedomPop SIM. That way you can configure all of your devices to use the hotspot, including connecting RaceCapture/Track to that hotspot. It may very well make everything much more stable.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter