AEM to AIM Fuel Pressure

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
wolfe83

AEM to AIM Fuel Pressure

Post by wolfe83 »

My car doesn't have a fuel level sender, so I would like to use fuel pressure instead. I'm using podium connect with the standard AIM Mapping. However, fuel pressure is sent to the AIM Dash from the ECU, which is an AEM Infinity. I have tried a variety of settings, but have not been able to map the fuel pressure reading correctly. Does anyone have any advice on the mapping? Thanks!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, Can you clarify exactly? are you trying to map the fuel level into PodiumConnect's telemetry stream?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

wolfe83

Post by wolfe83 »

Sorry! You have it correct. I am trying to map fuel pressure to podium connect. As I understand it, fuel pressure comes from my AEM Infinity, but is also displayed correctly on my AIM dash. I have tried to map it to read from both sources on Podium Connect, but get nonsense values from each.

Originally, I just changed the smarty cam config in Race Studio to use fuel pressure instead of fuel level. However, I couldn't make sense of the value that was being displayed by Podium Connect. So, I switched to attempting to map it to Podium directly from the AEM output based on published AEM CAN mapping. Still no luck.

Please let me know if I can provide more detail!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Got it. Can you provide the AEM's published spec for that data? Are you connected to the same CAN bus that AEM uses to broadcast that data?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

wolfe83

Post by wolfe83 »

Thanks Brent!

I based the mapping off this document:
http://aemelectronics.com/files/pdf/AEM ... Public.pdf

Podium is physically connected to the system through an AIM 4 port data hub, which is connected to the AIM MXG in the car. I assumed that allows Podium to get CAN messages from both the AIM and AEM, since they talk to each other. Let me know if that's a flawed assumption.

If it would be easier to see what I'm talking about, I can send you my race capture configuration file.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Cool. Can you show your mapping config, or attach your racecapture config file here?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

wolfe83

Post by wolfe83 »

Here is the mapping. Thanks
Attachments
rc.jpg
rc.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 4943 times

MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Hey wolfe83,
I'm not sure but assume that your assumption is probably wrong...
wolfe83 wrote:Podium is physically connected to the system through an AIM 4 port data hub, which is connected to the AIM MXG in the car. I assumed that allows Podium to get CAN messages from both the AIM and AEM, since they talk to each other. Let me know if that's a flawed assumption.
Where did you plugged the data hub on the MXG?
And what else is connected to the datahub?

In case you didn't repurposed the datahab for your own wiring but rather plugged it straight to the MXG expansion connector as it is meant to be, then you will hardly receive AEM CAN messages...
The AEM ecu CAN wires are most likely connected to CAN1 of the MXG, which is independent from the proprietary AIM expansion CAN where the SmartyCam and similar AIM devices are meant to be connected.

So please confirm where are the AEM CAN wires going to and/or where did you connected the datahub, which you use for PodiumConnect.

Otherwise please post the AIM config and the PodiumConnect config (I'm talking about the files and not a screenshot) to go from there.

Regards, Mike