VR Sensor / Trigger Wheel Install & Setup

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Tiger 955

VR Sensor / Trigger Wheel Install & Setup

Post by Tiger 955 »

I'm just getting to installing the sensor & trigger wheel on my Triumph TR6 & would like to know how accurate the position of the sensor & trigger wheel tooth has to be (@ TDC). Do you just align the sensor central to the tooth with a 1mm gap & that's it or do you have to get it running & adjust the position to get 10 deg. BTDC exact using a timing light?
Also does anyone have an advance curve I could start from (I have a 1969 cam installed with higher compression, so not standard).
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - 1mm gap should be fine. Runout should be minimal, and sensor bracket should be very rigid. We have a good install guide here:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/MJLJ_V4_ ... tion_guide

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Tiger 955

Post by Tiger 955 »

I've not been able to find anything on actually setting the trigger wheel & sensor positions. I understand the sensor can be anywhere around the trigger wheel as long as the missing tooth is 60deg (6 cyl) after the sensor when the engine is at TDC. I've made the trigger wheel rotatable relative to the crank, so do you with the engine running & using a timing light, fine tune the position to get the timing marks aligned with an advance set to 10deg (or in limp home mode, my EDIS6 unit has a removable plug which open circuits the pink wire (I forget if it is PIP or SAW)).

Again any help with what I should be looking at for advance figure changes when using TPS would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, the actual orientation is comprehensively described in the installation guide:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/MJLJ_V4_ ... stallation

Cheers,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Tiger 955

Post by Tiger 955 »

"3. Position the timing wheel onto the crank pulley with the missing tooth aligned to the sensor."

OK, can you define "aligned" please.

Centre of missing tooth to centre of sensor; leading edge of missing tooth with centre of sensor; leading edge of missing tooth with leading edge of sensor; Centre of missing tooth with leading edge of sensor etc etc.

And how accurate does it have to be to this position, +/- 0.001" width of a pencil line or a chalk line?
Sorry I'm just trying to see what is required, the guide doesn't seem to cover this.

Thanks again.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Read it as "centered on the tooth" - so the center of the sensor is aligned with the center of the tooth.

Get it as close as you can, within 0.5 degrees.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter