BMW E36 / MS41 OBD mapping

Discussion and research on OBDII integration, especially on OEM specific PIDs from Ford, GM, Chevrolet, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi and others.
mikesmith

BMW E36 / MS41 OBD mapping

Post by mikesmith »

Just trying to get things up and rolling with the OBD2CAN on an E36 ('96 328 motor) and almost certainly doing something wrong.

At startup I see this logged:
[OBD2] Trying OBDII bit mode 29
[OBD2] Trying OBDII bit mode 11
[OBD2] Excessive timeouts, squelching PID 17
[OBD2] Excessive timeouts, squelching PID 17
[OBD2] all channels timed out, resetting OBD2 state
[OBD2] Init current values
I'm just trying to log engine temperature and TPS at this point, to keep things simple. Firmware 2.12.0, config attached.
Attachments
Bus.rcp.txt
Config file
(22.17 KiB) Downloaded 366 times

wizrd54

Post by wizrd54 »

I'm having similar issues. E36/M44 motor.

I get some data, but then it says it is squelching the PIDs that I'm trying to request. I'm using the OBD classic connector. I'm following the setup for PIDs listed on the OBDII wiki for Mode 1. Should be coming over CAN or OBD when using the adapter and is it on message 2024?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, the adapter fully emulates OBDII - it doesn't stream CAN data.

What firmware are you running, and wizrd54 - can you attach a copy of your saved configuration? Was it working before you updated firmware?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you're running the latest 1.11.0 app, can you also try doing a fresh read from the unit and check the CAN termination settings? If they're set to 'off' please try turning them 'on' and see if that resolves the issue.

Will watch for updates!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mikesmith

Post by mikesmith »

brentp wrote:If you're running the latest 1.11.0 app, can you also try doing a fresh read from the unit and check the CAN termination settings? If they're set to 'off' please try turning them 'on' and see if that resolves the issue.

Will watch for updates!
Running the 1.10.2 app and 2.12.0 firmware, I don't see a 'CAN termination' setting anywhere in the UI I'd expect to find it, but the can_term flag is set in the saved configuration file.

I've verified that I can read DTCs over the same connection, so I'm confident that the K line is working.

I cut the sample rate on the TPS down to 5Hz and coolant temperature to 1Hz and things appear to be behaving now. It's very unsatisfactory in that I don't know what I did that "fixed" it, but I'll take it.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update. It's important to know that the sample rate you select is independent of the rate that RaceCapture queries OBDII.

RaceCapture's OBDII engine queries OBDII as fast as the ECU will allow, and will report the current OBDII values at the rate you specify - they're disconnected from each other.

The OBDII engine does other things like prioritize queries and so on, worth reading the OBDII section on the 2.11.0 announcement: https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecaptu ... -released/

The E36 OBDII interface is notoriously cranky and slow - and often it takes a long time to initialize. Having an E36 M3 myself we developed the OBDII adapter to hard-reset and start over if it fails to communicate with the ECU, this might be the reason why it took a while for it to show up. Once the link is established, we've seen it remains stable.

In summary - set it to the sample rates you want - ideally slow sample rates for engine temp and a faster sample rate for RPM and TPS.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mikesmith

Post by mikesmith »

Thanks for the additional context.

I realize that the E36 is not the hot item that it used to be, but have you considered using DS2 rather than the vanilla ISO K-line protocol? It's less of a mystery than it used to be (see e.g. http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42&t=11086), and seems to be more 'responsive'. 8)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Cool - I have an E36 M3 myself as my daily driver - as I mentioned before. Would be cool to have faster / better data available.

Did anyone make a CAN bridge for this interface yet?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

farmerdave

Re: BMW E36 / MS41 OBD mapping

Post by farmerdave »

Hi, dead thread bump, just curious if there have been any developments on Brent's last question, whether or not anyone has developed an ODB to Can bridge yet for E36?

brentp
Site Admin

Re: BMW E36 / MS41 OBD mapping

Post by brentp »

Would be cool, since this platform is still pretty popular!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter