Port couldn't be open

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

newsax

Port couldn't be open

Post by newsax »

Hello All,

I own a Westfield Xflow 1600 that I bought with the Megajolt on.

It is a V4 hardware from the pictures, with MAP configuration.

Running smooth. but rev limiter is on the low side (5800) and I would like to increase it a little.

But, when trying to connect it to a laptop (with USB adapter I buy from you ;-) some weeks ago)
I cannot succeed to connect it.

My computer detect it an put it on port 06, but even if selecting port 6 from the soft I do not get any connection.
I try to just turn on the key (so green led light up) and even with running engine but without any success.

I did try the different version of the soft just in case of but without more success.

Would you pleasee help me ?

Thank you !

newsax

Post by newsax »

I really need your help here,

I did try everything even with windows seven and 10, nothing is working...

newsax

Post by newsax »

Nobody is able to help ?

I did try every port without success ...

BGTSpitfire

Post by BGTSpitfire »

It seems that the really smart people on here are busy with something else. I am not a really smart person but I stumbled on the answer to your question by chance. find the ports in the settings of your computer. With the megajolt hooked up with the correct cable I tried each one until I figured out which was the right one. It was just trial and error. There wasn't anything obvious about which one that worked. Sorry but I can't help any more than that.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, Sorry for the delay.

Instructions for setting the port are here:https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide

Essentially, you look at Windows Device Manager for the port assignment, and then set it in the Megajolt software. Once you do that, it should connect.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

newsax

Post by newsax »

brentp wrote:Hi, Sorry for the delay.

Instructions for setting the port are here:https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide

Essentially, you look at Windows Device Manager for the port assignment, and then set it in the Megajolt software. Once you do that, it should connect.

Hope this helps!
Unfortunately, that's what I did without any success I'm afraid :cry:

newsax

Post by newsax »

BGTSpitfire wrote:It seems that the really smart people on here are busy with something else. I am not a really smart person but I stumbled on the answer to your question by chance. find the ports in the settings of your computer. With the megajolt hooked up with the correct cable I tried each one until I figured out which was the right one. It was just trial and error. There wasn't anything obvious about which one that worked. Sorry but I can't help any more than that.
Did try that also for 50% of the ports but there are so many possibilities, going through all of them will just take hours ...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Since you are using a USB to serial adapter, you'll need to ensure the driver is installed for that adapter.

To identify what COM port is assigned to that adapter, watch the Ports section of device manager. When you plug the USB adapter into the computer, you'll see a new com port pop into that list in real-time. That's the COM port you want to set.

Let us know how that works!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

newsax

Post by newsax »

That's rhe adapter i bought from you.
No driver provided ??

When i connect it i do see it poping up with a specific
Port. But even changing to that port does not work.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Windows 10 has built in drivers for many USB to serial adapters. If it shows up under ports in device manager as a COM port, then it should have the driver loaded correctly.

For Windows 7, the adapter should have come with a CD, or a link to their website for driver instructions.

So if Device manager reports, COM 5 (for example) for the USB to serial adapter, you will need to go into the Megajolt software and select "COM 5" for the port, under Configurator options.

Then, after connecting the unit you can press the "read configuration" button on the toolbar, or just shutdown and re-start the software with the Megajolt connected. It should connect and automatically read the configuration.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

newsax

Post by newsax »

If only... using windows 10, it do pop up abd indicate a port number.
But changing to that port in the software does not work. No communication at all even after hitting read configuration or
Shut down...

Honestly i do not see what I could do...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Understood.

You could try a different USB to serial adapter; it is possible the one you have is defective.

You can contact [email protected] and we can inspect it for defects and exchange it. You can also buy a new one and test that way; they are all a pretty universal design.

Let us know what you find out next. Thanks for your patience!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

617sqn

Same as...

Post by 617sqn »

I've had aMegajolt fitted to my 1972 Hillman Imp for years now. In fact the first one was bought in kit form, and worked really well. I substituted it for a Megajolt E, just because I could. I held on to the original for ages, but eventually decided to sell it via eBay. Stupidly, I also included the cabling with the sale. When I tried to update the config following a fairly long lay-up of the car, I replaced the cable, including a serial to USB converter. Despite my best efforts, I cannot get into the unit to even check what map is installed ! I cannot fathom out why Autosport Labs considered the units RJ connection as being suitable. Why was it not a direct USB to USB in the first place ? I'm now completely stumped and dont know what to do.

Andy G, England :cry:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

The megajolt system originally did not have USB because at the time it was first developed, USB was not a common option for hardware.

The latest version of Megajolt comes with a USB interface, however, and a few other improvements.

For checking if your unit is operational - can you observe that it controls ignition timing using a timing light? If you can see ignition timing vary, then that's an indicator the unit is basically functional. If not, then there could be a problem with the megajolt system in general, which could explain why you cannot connect with the software.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

minimower

Post by minimower »

You will note that I have the same issue in the section directly below this.
In my experience you will not succeed at running older MJ
on modern laptops. I have tried 3 usb-to-RS232 leads now.
When I check , I'm told "the best driver is already installed".But no, All I get is "timeout ...blah blah blah"
I am giving up now and going to an alternative maker which hopefully won't need all this com port and driver nonsense