LS1 ignition

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

shortbed454

LS1 ignition

Post by shortbed454 »

can the MegaJolt be used to run individual coils. i want to use 8 individual coils from a camaro LS1 but i dont know if i can use this system to run them. can any one give me some information on this. thanks in advance.

Chris

brentp
Site Admin

EDIS-8

Post by brentp »

The MJLJ works exclusively with the Ford EDIS ignition module. Consequently you're limited to the EDIS module's capabilities for driving ignition coils.

For an 8 cylinder application you would need an EDIS-8, which drives a coil pack arrangment.

Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

4600cc

Yes it can.

Post by 4600cc »

You can use EDIS-4/6/8 to drive 4/6/8 individual coils. However, EDIS might get overloaded. Search these forums for "COP", or coil over plug. I used to have EDIS-8 and Megajolt setup on my old vic, which had two coil packs and wires. My new mustang has COP ignition, and there needs to be some monkying done to get it working.

With coil packs, a single coil drives two plugs, one is fired on compression, the other on exhaust strokes. That is, on a 4 cyl, a coil pack consists of two coils, each of which drives two cylinders. This is called waste spark ignition system.

With COP, we can simulate waste spark by driving two coils (COPs) with a single output. We connect the coils in parallel to each other, and we arrage them in proper firing order. (same as engine with coil packs would do, not difficult) Problem is, because coils are connected in parallel, we'd need more power to drive them, and thus a question, can EDIS survive?

I haven't done this because I don't want to mangle my engine wiring harness, I was looking for something that will go in between the ECU and harness, but that's a different story. Basically, the plan was to try it out, see if EDIS would survive. If it dies, you'd need a new EDIS and you'd need to make a circuit to drive those coil duos. Which isn't very hard, and I'm sure guys here, such as Brent and Oliver and Steve, can come up with something. There is a good possibility that EDIS would survive.

Though, use Ford coils, cheaper and lasts longer. If you not sure how you'd arrange your coils so that one is fired on compression and the other on exhaust, let me know, I can dig that info for you. Post here or e-mail me.

brentp
Site Admin

"semi" COP

Post by brentp »

I fundamentally agree with Al, but it's only COP in that the coil is sitting right on the spark plug. So it's kind of "semi" COP. If the impedance of the two coils in parallel is close to what the EDIS module sees, then it should work OK.

True COP ignition offers only one spark event per cylinder, not multiple sparks like the coil pack in 'wasted spark' configuration. This gives the advantage of stronger spark at high RPMs since the dwell time between spark events is longer than wasted spark, allowing more time for the coil's magnetic field to build up.

This is an improvement over wasted spark setups, and especially over distributor based setups, where the same coil must charge/discharge for each ignition event.

Brent

Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter