TPS on SU carbs

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Spitfiredriver

TPS on SU carbs

Post by Spitfiredriver »

Has anybody seen a TPS fitted to an SU carb?
I have twin HS4 SU's and there is only 13mm between the throttle spindle and the float bowl.
I have considered fitting it to the accelerator pedal but there is only 30 degrees of rotation. Will that be enough?
I can not use a MAP sensor because of the cam.
Attachments
spindle.jpg
spindle.jpg (128.34 KiB) Viewed 6529 times

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

If you can get reliable & repeatable output, a reduced rotation TPS would work. Either calibrate the controller for a lower range of voltages, or use an OP AMP to boost voltage back up to nominal levels. Bruce Roe

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Fitting to the pedal is generally bad news so I would suggest find a way to fit it to the carbs - either by sticking the TPS on the other end of the spindle, extending the spindle into clear space or simply swapping to a MAP sensor setup.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Spitfiredriver

TPS on SU carbs

Post by Spitfiredriver »

I think I will try going to a breakers, so I can measure some sensors.
I can not extend the spindel shaft because it will fowl the float bowl. (but there is 13mm to play with)
I ruled out a MAP sensor because I have a 290 degree cam.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

You could also think outside the box a bit more, so to say, and fit a tps to the throttle mechanism on the carbs. It doesn't have to be attached to the end of the throttle spindle, so long as you can make an arrangement which has minimal/no play.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

If memory serves, SU carbs have a rotational throttle linkage (like on Webers?) where the cable pulls a rotational "thingy" to open the throttles? If so, you could use some form of back to back cog ON the side of that, which then engages with a likewise cog on the TPS? Just a thought.

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

My first TPS setup was actually mounted to the linkage, not the carbs themselves. Worked great, but happened to be a bit clunky in design (which would be my fault I guess ;) ).